In the Shadows

Part One

He was looking at the other side of the Han River, the brightly lit skyline reflecting in the passing water. It was already dark and the rain was coming down heavily from the sky and hit his umbrella in rapid succession. A cold wind blew uncomfortably from the north, making him shiver and hunker more into his jacket. He felt rain hitting his legs due to the wind and he sighed. He hated to be cold and wet.

The noise from the expressways crossing overhead the park intertwined with the voices coming from the now illuminated water drain. He could see shadows moving on the wall of the huge cavern-like structure, flickering in and out between the unmoving pillars. Again and again, several flashes of white light appeared, fighting the looming shadows even more.

The city was still busy and didn't know that another person lost his life. And even if they knew, Yoongi was sure a lot of people didn't care for the human that lived in the shadows. Hidden the majority of the day. Overlooked when they came out.

He looked up when he heard a splash nearby and a heartfelt „Shit." Jimin was shaking one foot to get rid of the water he just stepped in.
Yoongi tried to hide a smile, while he looked his partner up and down, with the flickering police lights in the back, marking the cordon for the crime scene.
Jimin was wearing these tight-ass jeans again and the leather Kensington boots. This combination made his legs appear miles long and Yoongi internally groaned. To make matters worse, he was wearing one of these jackets, that ended up right above his ass, to give Yoongi a prime view of said ass when he was walking behind him. His hair was combed back, exposing his forehead. Altogether it was a look he hated and loved at the same time.

„Sorry I'm late," Jimin says in greeting and their umbrellas bump together when he steps closer. He shakes the foot again, looking annoyed at the leg of his wet jeans. When he looks up at Yoongi, there is still a line between his brows, which increases when he musters him.
„I knew you would be cold," Jimin says, pulling a heat pack from his pocket and holding it out to Yoongi. He takes it without question, hiding it in his pocket, pressing it against his stomach. The warmth slowly spreads through the fabric, relaxing him a bit.

Jimin's cologne hits his nose. It is subtle but all too present every day when he stands close to Yoongi, testing his willpower.
„There was a time you said thank you," Jimin adds, raising a brow.
„The honeymoon phase is over," Yoongi replies dryly.
„And now you have hurt my feelings too."
„I will make it up to you."
„How? You have the charm of a crumpled wrapping paper."

Yoongi raises a brow in return. „Someone came prepared."
„We have different expectations, how it looks when I'm prepared," Jimin answers. „But cut the flirting now, Yoongles. What is down there?" and he points to the water drain.

„A dead body."
„Oh wow, please slow down with all the information that is pouring from your lips, dear Inspector Min," Jimin says sarcastically and makes a shocked face.
Yoongi blinks at him with an impassive face. „Well, then listen closely for more. Older male, apparently homeless and stabbed."
„That case is practically solved," Jimin answers. „You tied your man bun so prettily for nothing."

Yoongi blinks lazily at him again and licks his lips. Jimin follows the motion with his eyes and looks back up, waiting for his comeback.

„Thanks for the heating pad," Yoongi says.
„Was that so hard?"
„Yes."

Jimin clicks his tongue disapprovingly but turns in the direction of the crime scene.
„How are we getting down there?"
„We have to climb down a ladder," Yoongi replies and walks to the railing of the bridge they are standing on, Jimin following him closely. They look down at the scene. CSI and the ME Jung Hoseok are busy assessing everything.
„Just great," Jimin huffs.