Chapter Nineteen

"What do you mean Wanda got out?" Alex asked. The Avengers were standing together outside the airport, discussing tactics when Vision flew in. He told them what had happened and how Clint had gotten her out of the compound.

"I'm sorry, Alex." Vision apologized. Alex just shrugged, knowing full well it wasn't his fault.

Peter's head perked up. He was wearing a brand-new Spider-Man suit Tony had made him. "Who's Wanda?"

"My girlfriend. Or ex... I don't really know."

"You guys broke up?" Natasha asked. She hadn't heard about this at all while they had been in Vienna or anything from the other Avengers.

Alex bowed her head. "Yeah. We didn't agree on the accords and she thought that because she hurt me I viewed her as a monster."

Alex chewed her lip, drawing blood. "We should probably get going. Steve will be here soon and we're running out of time."

The Avengers heard footsteps heading their way. Tony and Rhodey raced forwards, shooting something at the helicopter Steve was running towards. The two landed next to each other. "Wow, it's so weird how you run into people at the airport. Don't you think that's weird?"

"Definitely weird."

Tony retracted his mask, turning to face Steve as he started to speak. "Hear me out, Tony. That doctor, the psychiatrist, he's behind all of this."

Steve was cut off by T'Challa jumping down from his perch. "Captain."

"Your Highness."

"Anyway," Tony continued, walking closer to Steve, "Ross gave me 36 hours to bring you in. That was 24 hours ago. Can you help a brother out?"

"You're after the wrong guy."

Alex walked forwards. She still couldn't get the hang of her powers and she was praying she wouldn't have to try to use them on Steve. "Your judgment is askew."

"Alexandra." Steve greeted.

Alex raised her brow. "Haven't called me that since 2012, Captain."

"Your old war buddy killed innocent people yesterday." Even though Alex knew James wouldn't have killed anyone, she still sided with Tony. She knew that if Steve went chasing after all the loose threads HYDRA had left he would get hurt.

"And there are five more super soldiers just like him. I can't let the doctor find them first, Tony. I can't."

"Steve." Natasha joined the group once more. "You know what's about to happen. Do you really wanna punch your way out of this one?

Steve didn't respond, so Alex took the initiative. "Alright, I'm bored, and I'm pretty sure Tony has run out of patience. Underoos!"

Alex blinked a few times, expecting a response but not getting one. "Spidey? Parker?"

Steve looked around confused, only to see a web attach to his shield. It was yanked out of Steve's hands, both of which got webbed together. Peter landed with the shield.

"Nice job kid." Tony complimented, turning back briefly to look at him.

"Thanks. Well, I could have stuck the landing a little better, it's just a new suit. It's nothing, Mr. Stark. It's perfect. Thank you."

Alex attempted to shut Peter down before he started rambling out his address. "We don't really need to start a conversation."

Peter nodded, turning to Steve and saluting him. "Cap. Captain. Big fan. I'm Spider-Man."

"Yeah, we'll talk about it later." Tony finally managed to shut Peter down.

Steve crossed his arms, smiling slightly at the respect he had been given by the spider kid. "You've been busy."

"And you've been a complete idiot." Tony was being serious now. "Dragging in Clint, "rescuing" Alex's girlfriend from a place she doesn't even want to leave, a safe place."

"Tell Stark that she's not my girlfriend." Alex rolled her eyes. She could hear Wanda talking to Steve, but she didn't know how. She wasn't standing close enough to him to hear through his earpiece.

"I'm trying to keep..." Tony turned around at his team, taking in a few short breaths. "I'm trying to keep you from tearing the Avengers apart."

"You did that when you signed," Steve said simply, unwilling to move from where he stood. He didn't call in his team, he didn't try to make a run for it- he was hoping he could convince Tony that he was right.

And that's exactly what Tony had been doing. He had hoped Steve would see his way in things. They were both playing the same game, unwilling to stop until someone saw their side.

Which meant one of them would have to lose.

Alex had been promised that if she could catch Steve or convince him to sign the accords, all would be forgiven for her helping Bucky escape. But if she couldn't, she would be locked up just like them.

"You're gonna turn Barnes over, you're gonna come with us, now, because it's us or a squad of J-SOC guys with no compunction about being impolite." Tony paused his angry rant, looking at Steve remorsefully one last time. "Come on."

Alex could hear mumbled talking, which confused her yet again. She knew it was Sam's voice coming from Steve's coms, but nothing was adding up.

Steve raised his hands, an arrow flying through the webbing. A man dressed in an ant suit suddenly became full-sized, kicking Peter in the face and taking the shield from him. "I believe this is yours, Captain America."

"Oh, great," Tony said through the coms. "All right, there's two on the parking deck. One of them's Maximoff, I'm gonna grab her. Rhodey, you wanna take Cap?"

"Got two in the terminal, Wilson and Barnes."

"Barnes is mine." T'Challa was quick to respond, running off in a separate direction. Alex hoped he wouldn't hurt him.

"Hey, Mr. Stark, Ms. White,  what should I do?" Peter asked, touching his ear even though he didn't need to.

Alex ran off towards Wanda. She was hoping she could convince Wanda to help them and that she didn't think she was a monster, but it was more so in hopes of them getting back together. "Web em' up like we discussed, Pete. Keep your distance."

"Okay, copy that." Alex sighed. She knew there was no chance of getting Steve on their side now. She could only hope for the best.

Karma - W. MaximoffOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara