THIRD CHAPTER

«Miami, Florida»

The radiant sun awakening was the discordant note of a day that was actually dark. Lauren lay in her office on this new workday, but her tasks were lagging behind due to the presence of her friend in the enclosure. She was well aware of Lauren's affliction, and how could she not be? She was her lifelong friend. She was there, persistent, because she wanted to help Lauren in some way, but it was a complex task. Lauren was not exactly a woman who liked to be helped, she had always been so independent since she lost her mother, even to an extreme degree, as she could be dying and would not accept anyone's help.

"No, Ally, you know I don't believe in those things."

"Please, Lauren. You have nothing to lose by going, faith is a light in the darkness, a comfort when everything has already crumbled. Just come with me, the peace that extends in that place will help you."

"You sound like a preacher now. I see they've brainwashed you already."

"It's called going down the path of righteousness, although I doubt that a wayward soul like you is ready to recognize it."

"What's next?" she mocked. "Every year you obsess over something different and then you drop it; last year you were all about love and peace with the Hippie thing. This year it's religion. What's next?"

"You have a very bad concept of me, my friend," she accused with a narrowed gaze. "But you're just dodging the issue."

The green-eyed woman sighed in frustration.

"I'll think about it for another occasion, okay? I have things to attend to today."

"Just that? What do you have to think about?"

"I have things to do right now, as I explained to you," she replied, looking back at her laptop.

"Like what?"

"For example, I have a meeting with the jewelry designer."

Her friend raised her eyebrows in noticeable surprise, stunned by the revelation.

"Why does that surprise you, Ally?" she continued. "You knew I would propose to her at some point, and now is the time."

"Yes, you had it in mind long before the doctor gave you the bad news. I thought you would want to wait until you were better to get married."

"I know, it would be logical, but... If I don't have much time left, I would like to fulfill that dream despite everything, and if I died, I don't want Ash to be left alone and instead inherit what I have." "That witch would squander your money on eccentricities in less than a year." "Ally," she said, giving her a reproachful look. "What? I'm sorry, I never liked her and I really tried." "You didn't try hard enough." "Anyway, if that's what you want, I'll support you. Do you need me to come with you? With the constant dizziness you're experiencing and the risk of fainting, you shouldn't go alone. Norma and I could accompany you; I know she'll be free in the afternoon." "It's not necessary." "It is." "I'm not a dying person who needs help for everything," she replied with a haughty tone mixed with disdain.

"Don't be unfriendly, Lauren. Nobody thinks you're a dying person who needs help with everything."

"It's how you, Norma, and Ashley make me feel. I feel like a useless person all the time when you think I'm already incapacitated to drive or even walk alone. I confided in you about my illness so that you wouldn't be caught off guard if one day I don't wake up again, but I want to try to keep being myself for the time I have left. I don't need to be reminded of how messed up I am," she exhaled all the frustration contained in that protest.

Ally looked at her carefully and Lauren could discern affliction and distress in her friend's gaze, but the green-eyed woman hated to be seen with affliction, with sorrow. She was always so strong, and even in her worst times, she remained so. She stayed isolated from everyone so they wouldn't witness her sinking into her own misery. She chose to be alone back then, and the refuge she found was only disguised as a safeguard. Now she faced a different affliction, but imitated her past behavior; she didn't want anyone's help.