02 | 𝐎𝐏𝐏𝐎𝐒𝐈𝐓𝐄 𝐒𝐈𝐃𝐄𝐒

OPPOSITE SIDES

As you step into the cafe, a comforting aroma of freshly brewed coffee envelopes you. Soft jazz music plays in the back, creating a soothing and cozy ambiance for all the guests and staff.

"I'm glad I knocked on your door today," Kuroo admits as he follows you inside. He's been to Yasuragi Café plenty of times before, and you're both lucky that it's just down the road from your apartment building.

"Me too," you reply with a soft smile. "I bet you bring all of your conquests here."

Just when Kuroo thought you were settling into the warm lighting and the charm from the rustic decor, he gives you a weird look. "Conquests?"

"Yeah," you scoff jokingly. "I know I'm not the first girl you've decided to randomly meet in your building and bring to this cafe."

"What if I told you that you are the first girl I brought here?" Kuroo challenges you with the hopes that you'll see him through. He has absolutely nothing to hide. "Would you believe me then?"

You look up at him, and the same damn smirk hangs on his face like it's his prized possession. And as smug as it is, it suits him well. There's no way he's telling the truth, you think. Not when he looks this good.

"Oh, please," you retort, rolling your eyes playfully. "If it makes you feel better about yourself, then sure, I believe you." This is when you shoot him a teasing grin, knowing full well not to buy into his act. "Just don't be surprised when I start keeping a tally."

Kuroo snickers, a genuine laugh to your quick wit and snarky comeback. "Fine," he says with a playful glint in the gold of his eyes. "But, I promise, you truly are the first girl I've brought here."

You shake your head before turning back around. Whatever you say, bedhead.

Gently, Kuroo presses a hand to your lower back and leads you to a table in the back corner of the café, right next to a window and a bookshelf full of unfamiliar manga titles. And he does his best to be a gentleman, pulling out one of the two chairs for you.

You bite back another retort and take your seat. "Thank you."

"You're very welcome," Kuroo winks, earning him an eye roll in response. "Take some time to look at the menu and I'll place an order for us. And don't worry, it's on me. Consider it a proper welcome to the city."

"Wow," you murmur, pleasantly surprised by Kuroo's genuine kindness. Perhaps he truly is good-hearted, or maybe he's just putting in extra effort to swoon you. "That's really thoughtful of you."

A few minutes pass spent scanning the diverse menu and basking in the café's charm. The exposed brick walls are covered with artwork and posters, creating a calm space that's amplified by the gentle hum of conversations and clinking dishes. This is definitely a place that you'll be visiting again.

"I'll just have a coffee... iced," you decide, and Kuroo nods as he makes a mental note.

"Anything to eat?"

"Hm..." Flipping through the menu, you're spoiled for choice, eager to try everything. "I don't know. There's so many things to choose from."

"How about I surprise you with something?" Kuroo suggests, already reaching for your menu and closing it with a grin on his face.