Prologue - The Grey Witch

I cannot bring myself to walk the rest of the broken halls of Azkaban, to the end of the corridor where Sebastian Sallow lay. It is always the same. I come to these hallowed halls to rid the witches and wizards of their pain. It does not matter if my magic shatters their minds and drives them into an oblivious state. I am allowed to be here. The prisoners feel I am a welcomed sight. That I can offer some respite for their crimes. I cannot, but they never know this. I only offer the ability to take, not give.

I slither through the halls, the cold night air seeping through the cracks of dark stone. There are few flickering candles on the wall, their thick wax bases dripping onto the cobblestone below. The cold isn't all from the night air. Above me hang the dementors who truly suck all warmth from a room. They're here for my protection from the prisoners, but it feels like I am here to protect the prisoners from them.

The air feels thinner here. Alone, in the middle of the ocean, high in a tower. Surely my prince will come rescue me from this wretched place. His heart cannot reach mine behind the sliver of blackened bars that ensnare him. I cannot ask anymore of myself to dwell on him. He is unreachable from the end of this hall. There are no obstacles in my way, but my own.

The guilt I feel. The longing. The pain I cannot remove from my own chest with the flick of my wand. The pain I wish I could remove from his. But it can never be. I can never make it down the hall. I cannot bear to face him. My heart could not take it.

I've been asked to clear the pain of a witch. I dare not ask what crimes they commit. I've learned my lesson. Some things are better off unknown.

I know his cell lies at the end of the corridor. I've never been told where it is, I simply feel it. My once kindred spirit is bound to me. A tether lies between us that I cannot and shall not break. While he has committed many acts of a dark wizard, I do not believe he is one.

But it doesn't matter what I think. He is here because of his uses of the three Unforgivable Curses. At fifteen he will remain here until the light of his wand goes out.

I close my eyes. I cannot focus on him. I have a job to do.

My feet plant themselves in front of her cell, the witch I've been tasked with helping. She is wearing a tattered black and white striped dress. Her hair was matted, but I imagine she once must have been beautiful. Her hair where it wasn't matted, fell in dark colored wood tendrils down her back. When she noticed me, her hair covered most if not all of her face, but behind the tattered curtain of hair lie her two gray glassed eyes. She moves to stand and crumples at my feet. She must have physical pain as well.

I unlock the cell. No one notices. I step inside. I take a breath.

I can feel her pain. The emotions she has inside are strong. Stronger than any of the other prisoners I met. It feels as if her heart has broken. No, shattered. She has a shattered heart. Being in a place like this can do that to a person. I lift my wand and begin the process.

A soft light begins to pulse at the tip of my wand. I move my hand towards her chest and slowly pull out a darkened red liquid, it moves like molten lead. I reach into my satchel and pull out a glass jar. Slowly, carefully, I move her pain into the jar and seal it.

When I turn back to the woman, she smiles. Her teeth have become yellowed, like the rotten lemons you can find behind Honeydukes. She still seems in physical pain as she rises to her feet, I put my arms out to catch her in case she falls again. She is able to stand, not fully straight, hobbled over from the cramped space.

She takes my hands and there we stand, in silence, knowing what comes next. What they all try to do. I always let them try. Maybe one day, one of them will succeed. I back out of the cell, our hands still locked. We fall in place, side by side. Her neck turned, stares at me. So hopeful now that her pain is gone. I turn away and place my chin high. This dance with my demon. She wants what I cannot.