Chapter 2 - Guilt or Regret?

There had been many long nights in Feldcroft with Ominis. I think overtime he had started to diminish his distrust of me. Spending all summer, in a small cottage, with a boy, I think tends to do that. I knew how Ominis felt towards me, it was almost too clear. He was so adamant that we would find Anne and bring her home. I think more than anything he wanted to see her again so he could finally tell her how he felt. I had never seen such devotion in someone before.

Except for myself.

Ominis and I felt familiar. We were different in many ways, our upbringing being one of them. He was gentle and patient while I struggled to hold my tongue. He was quiet and reserved and I couldn't help, but let my laugh carry across the room. He was refined and I was not.

And yet, he still wanted to spend time with me. That or it was just spending time with me so he can search for Anne. I'd like to think we were slowly mending our relationship.

The night breeze carried the sweet scent of the summer. The air wasn't hot, but held a soft warmth that only needed a light jumper. Ominis had felt the hopelessness of our efforts for Anne, which resulted in us just simply enjoying the final days of summer break.

My arm was in Ominis' as we walked around the outskirts of Feldcroft, near the fields, where the wheat swayed slowly in the breeze. The sound of each wisp touching made a sort of shushing sound that fell over us on this night. Ominis had his wand lighting our way, which also lit his way. He had always been blind, but used magic to see. I thought it was absolutely brilliant that magic could help this way. While it can't be reversed, he still stayed positive about it all. Of course, with a little dry humor here and there.

"Josey? What are you thinking about right now?" Ominis asks, his voice curious, but hiding something behind it. Thankfully, his sight with his wand isn't perfect so he can't see my worry with that question.

"I'm thinking about what this year at Hogwarts will bring. I can't wait for the feasts again. I know my cooking can't compare to the elves-" I start to say, my stomach grumbling at the thought of the first feast. The food was mouth watering and could make you miss it all summer break. I had been cooking for Ominis and I all summer, with some trips to the Leaky Cauldron to get some dinner. My cooking was sufficient enough, especially for not having much growing up. But food made by the house elves at school could not be compared to anything else.

Ominis stops walking and I stumble slightly.

"No, that's not what I mean. You're lying. I can tell your thoughts are elsewhere. You keep walking as if I'm leading you on a leash." He's right. I was leaning on him a bit too much. "What's bothering you, darling?" Ominis' favorite pet name for me was darling. If anyone at school didn't know better, they'd think Ominis and I were dating.

"Fine. I keep thinking about this dream I had last night. I was back in Azkaban, helping a witch with her pain."

"The same dream as always? Just 5 cells down?" Ominis asks, concerned. He knows this dream well. I had kept having it every few nights, all summer.

"That's the thing! I thought it was the same dream too, but then we kept walking and I was outside his cell. He came out, Ominis. I saw him! He spoke back. He's upset that we forgot about him. He then said he would see me soon. Then apparated out and the witch next to me was killed by the dementors."

"Hmmm that is different. Well, it's impossible to aparate out of Azkaban, just like Hogwarts." Ominis was always my voice of reason.

"I know, but something about the dream felt... almost foreboding. He's plotting something. I can feel it. Something tells men we made the wrong choice sending him there.

"Josephine-" Ominis tries to reassure me again.

"Ominis, no! I know we made the right choice to protect him and all of us, but something didn't feel right. Like sending him there triggered something in me." I pull my long hair to the side and begin to twist it anxiously. Bad habit, I guess. I always played with my hair when I was nervous. Gave my hands something to do.

"Like guilt?" he offers.

"Worse. Like we handed someone over who was interested in the Dark Arts to where everyone who practices the Dark Arts lives."

"I can concoct a sleeping draught for tonight. Once we get back to Hogwarts, you'll be too busy with O.W.L.S this year to even think about dreaming." Ominis offers his arm again and we set off towards the village. He was right, soon we would need a trip to Diagon Alley to buy this year's books and supplies.

He was right about our testing this year. I was testing to become a healer. I would love to somehow use my ancient magic for good. I know Ominis was hoping to become a professor or work in the ministry. He wanted to be in power to help those who couldn't help themselves like Ominis.

He couldn't get away from his family, the Gaunts. Which is why he stayed with Sebastian all summer break when he could. I would have gone with Ominis in a heartbeat to Gaunt manor, to keep him company. He told me no, that he wanted to protect me from his family. His family was full of pureblooded witches and wizards who regularly took part in the Dark Arts.

I know Ominis is keeping me away from his family to protect me, but who protects him? I was thankful that we spent all of summer break together, but knew it was out of desperation to not be near his family.

And I knew I was desperate to have one. Here was our little family. Ominis, Me, and our estranged relatives Anne and Sebastian.