Chapter 39

Chapter 39

-Crow's POV-

I knew that I wouldn't be much help when it came to morale, because I was generally a person who found it difficult to even have moderate morale at the best of times. Being locked in a dungeon in Italy. I was an idiot, believing that Aldrich had worthwhile connections who were actually willing to help us. I figured that all old-ish vampires were the same; selfish, arrogant, and incredibly bored. I suppose that's something not to look forward to.

Noah was panicking, I didn't need superhuman hearing to know that. Well actually I did, because I was surprised that we could hear each other through a very thick stone wall, but I didn't need to hear his quick breaths, or the tapping of his foot against the wall as he tried to pull free from his restraints. I wasn't sure if I was especially hated, or if Geppetto thinks that I would be more of a threat, but I could barely move my arms, I couldn't even reach the door thanks to the chains on my ankles. It didn't make sense though, as Noah was definitely stronger than I was. You really wouldn't think it judging from our personalities.

"Okay, I can't stand this anymore," Noah said after around seven minutes. I couldn't measure the time very well, but I had resorted to counting, something I did whenever I was bored or anxious. "Can you see anything?" he asked a bit quieter.

"No," I replied quickly. I couldn't see anything in this room, there was just pitch black in front of me. I had noticed that the walls were made of thick stones and there was a fire roaring outside, when we were being pulled in here. I was surprised that I couldn't feel the warmth of the fire, that only worried me more about the thickness of the door and walls. "Can you?"

"No, just the chains and the fact the floor is made of wood." Noah groaned, followed by a bang on the wall and an 'ow'. "I'm pretty sure that Geppetto isn't stupid enough to leave anything with us."

"We have a bad choice of character," I commented. I tried to stand up, but the chains which were attached to my wrists stopped me. "I can't stand up." I was sure that anxiousness was beginning to creep into my voice. I felt like I had acted very well so far, flying to another country and...I shouldn't dwell on what happened in order to land us in this situation, or I would be thinking about it all night. "Should we give up?"

"What?" Noah asked, shocked. The noise of chains in his direction had stopped abruptly.

"It's night," I pointed out. "We're not going to get anywhere. All the vampires will be awake and around, but-"

"Vampires don't sleep," Noah pointed out. "It doesn't matter if we wait until sunrise or not. There's going to be people guarding the place." He sighed. "We won't even be able to go in the sun, I don't think. How does that even work?"

I hated to admit that he was right. It was easy to forget the fact that Noah was a vampire, despite that being part of why we were here. He just didn't act like one. I wasn't sure I acted like one either, even though I definitely liked the aesthetic of it, which I did channel on most days. I forgot that we were the same creature as the threats in the castle.

"Right," I agreed. "Sunlight just irritates us because our senses are heightened. That's really all there is to it. It's why our eyes feel like they're boiling in our skulls and our skin feels like it's going to peel off immediately."

Noah gave a small hum in acknowledgement. "I didn't feel that." I would've told him that I thought that it was due to him not being a vampire for long, or that the experiment had done something to him, but I didn't have time. "What are vampire's weaknesses?" I was pretty sure that we had gone through this already, but maybe he was just trying to come up with a plan.

"You know that wood through the heart would be fatal," I said, beginning to think deeply about the question. Even though it probably wasn't the kind of thing I wanted to think about. "I think that's because we can't heal more natural wounds, and if you stop circulating blood then a vampire would die."