Part 2: Aboard Genesis 11

Kids, we are all kids. I am one of ten in total, sitting around a large table in what seems to be the headquarters of the plane- no, spaceship. Whatever it is we are on. They told us that it is called Genesis 11 and that it will be our base of operations for now. That was all they said. We wait, now, for the board of directors to arrive and give us a briefing.

I look across the room, at the other children. All of them seem to be my age, all as nervous to talk as the last. There are a couple employees roaming around the room, in the background. Some operate machines, giving orders. I overhear one of them mention 'launch sequence', so maybe we will be off soon. And here they come.

Walking through the door is a group, very important people. At the back, I notice directors of Babel Communications. I recognise one of them to be from the wikipedia page me and PJ looked on last night. He was as excited as I am for this, but also as confused. I don't know when I will see him again.

The rest of the group strides into view. At the front, a man introduces himself. His voice booming. "Hello, everyone! So so sorry to delay you, I bet you are dying to know what is going on here!"

He stands in front of our table, with the group of Babel directors just behind him.

"My name, is Marcus Defoe." We all get the impression that he is a leader. Perhaps their king. *"You were chosen to be the forefront of the most serious space exploration known to mankind."

I pull out my earphones, and stop my music with one push of a button on my player. I carried my music player with me almost everywhere I went. I was sure to bring it with me, who knows if there is music in space. I focus on Defoe, who is leaning over the table to have a closer look at us, getting onto our level. One of the girls on the other side of our table flinches at this, leaning back.

"Your journey is important to Humanity, and will be written in the history books for sure."

He goes on about something important and boring, I zoned out halfway through. About the future of mankind, pushing the limits of space, all that jazz. "Now, you were all promised payment."

I lean forward in my chair, along with the other kids. I guess we all like money.

"Your reward is like no other occupation. We have set up a fund for each and every one of you, so that every month, fifty thousand dollars will be inserted into your account. This will continue for the rest of your lives."

Holy shit! That's insane! How rich are these guys, if they can put together... I think to myself, working out the numbers in my head. Half a million bucks every month of every year, just for us kids. Everyone is reacting the same way I am, one boy has his mouth open wide.

Defoe starts again "as well as this, we will also ensure only the best medical and healthcare support to you and your families, when needed. We beleive that this is an understatement to our gratitude for what you will end up achieving for us, and as long as you work and co-operate with us, we will stick to our word."

My mind goes to Moms. I need this, she needs this. There is nothing I won't do for her, and these guys at Babel have it laid out plain and simple. Anyone who grows up in Detroit would learn to grab at anything that stands in your way, this is perfect.

"Before we continue, does anybody want to drop out?" Defoe asks. We all look around the room, staring for the mad kid who is not smart enough to quit on this. No hands are raised.

"Great. Glad that you are all with us."

One girl speaks up. Her skin is lighter than mine, I would guess Mexican or somewhere in South America. Her hair is soft, straitened out perfectly, like she was preparing herself for a date. She tucks her hair behind her ear slowly as she asks the question. "Sir, Defoe. What exactly are we doing?"