seven.

seven.

˚ ༘♡ ⋆。˚

Carl skipped happily next to me, poking his head into the bushes curiously. I kept my body tense watching him every instinct yelling at me that this was a bad idea.

Carol laughed with Carl waving him over and tilting his hat over his eyes, he just beamed at her the way little kids do and continued walking, lining up his footsteps with damaged ones, trying desperately to fit his sole perfectly in the crook of the mud.

The gray-haired woman curled her fingers around my back, pushing her thumb into my shoulder blade to calm my bouncing nerves. She wrapped her hand covering mine and forced my machete to be holstered at my waist.

She was right as much as I hated to admit it, this was a day for Carl and I sure as hell wasn't going to be the one to ruin it.

"You think we'll find some?" Carl asked for the fifteenth hundred time, kicking a jagged rock with the tip of his boot impatiently.

"Hell yeah, just letting you know if we find Wolverine it's game over for your reading." I grinned, nudging his ribs playfully. He rolled his blue eyes to the back of his head letting out a fake snore.

"All yours. No one wants to read Wolverine. Eh, boring!" He groaned, lolling his head to the side like just talking about it was making him sleepy.

"Ok Mr. Guardians of the Galaxy I love volume two, Wolverine is NOT boring. And your favorite character is Rocket, come on now." I countered shaking my head in disapproval. He stuck his tongue out keeping his brain hyper fixated on the possibility of finding comics. 

Carol smiled warmly giving us both that motherly smile she always wore. The boy jogged a few yards ahead occasionally stopping to freak out when he stepped into something squishy. Mud clung to his torn-up sneakers, Lori was so killing me when we got back.

I saw him turn a corner and my heart lept up into my throat, his figure disappearing behind broad tree trunks. I quickened my pace poking my head around the fork, he was still happily prancing around his brown-haired head bobbing up and down as he mumbled a song I'm not sure I even wanted to hear.

Visibly relaxing I fell back into step with Carol letting my muscles uncoil and roll back to normal. Her pink lips parted like she wanted to say something but stopped. I knew Carol, her silence wasn't going to last for long.

One.

Two.

Three.

"What's going on with you and Daryl?" She blurted out her hands fidgeting at her sides, it did little to keep herself from accidentally impaling her palm. I watched the buck knife cautiously, side-stepping out of stabbing range.