Vol 1 | Chapter 1 | Noir

[AN: This is the remake of Slime and Devil that's been continued on other sites for some time. For the sake of why not I've decided to at the very least post what I currently have onto here to see how many people actually read it. If it does well, I'll continue updating this version as well. If it doesn't, then I'm not going to add a fifth website to my list of upload sites.]

[On a secondary note, the earlier chapters are kinda wonky with POV, later in the series this is ironed out so deal with it for a bit.]

It had been many years since Tanya von Degurechaff had been born, someone who throughout her life continued to refuse the will of God to her very last breath, in fact, she refused to believe 'God' even existed in the first place, referring to the entity she encountered as 'Being X.' This Being X had grown tired of it, and despite his best efforts, he came to the realization that trying to convert her was a lost cause, and while he debated what to do about the glaring issue of faith he was facing across his domains, he knew for certain what he would do with her.

Numerous times she had rejected his grace, his mercy, his miracles. Over and over again she spat in the face of her creator. He had no reason to give her any mercy. He had shown her little before, however he made certain that she would always face just enough hardships to be a struggle and leave her on the edge of death, no longer did he intend to do that. Killing her wasn't particularly hard, all he had to do was send the mage Mary Sue after her and it would be it. One inconvenient 'malfunction' of her Type 95 later, and White Silver was struck down once and for all.

As the being already began to lose interest in the dying mage, he heard a rather feminine albeit androgynous voice ring out from both everywhere and nowhere simultaneously, [Notice: Commencing Soul Transfer to Central World...]

The announcement was a bit startling, however it was nothing new. Despite the many worlds he dominated, the being only controlled what was a measly handful of the dozens, if not hundreds of worlds the true creator, a dragon called Veldnava made. Among these endless worlds, he also created a system for the cycling of souls, intended to allow souls to flow between worlds. He had been using this to reincarnate people, such as Tanya into other worlds under his control, something he could only do thanks to his Ultimate Skill, Lord of Rebirth, Osiris. Where and how he actually got the skill, he could hardly remember, but he knew it was far from its full power, large fractions of it seemingly gone. At its full strength he suspected that he could have full control over the soul transfer system, however for now he's limited to just being able to utilize it. In cases such as this, he believed, there wasn't much he could do but allow it to take the soul of whatever it wished, though it was rarely ever something the being cared too much about.

[...Target Selected: Tanya von Degurechaff. Commencing Reincarnation]

"Huh?" The being couldn't stop himself from making a confused noise in shock at the voice. He quickly panicked, realizing what the system was doing, what it was taking from him, the years of effort and his threat of eternal damnation would all go down the drain if he let the system do as it pleased.

Throwing caution to the wind he resisted, utilizing his skill to full power as he just barely managed to hold back the soul from its transfer, though the effort to prevent it from being snatched away was vast, and eventually so too would the system threaten to strike back. [Notice: Continued resistance to the Soul Transfer System will result in retaliation and potential destruction of entities deemed a threat to the System]

It was an automatic defense system, mained to prevent anyone from forcefully damaging or taking control over the system. Had his ultimate skill been at full strength, he may have been able to stop the transfer with a snap of his finger, however it was not at full strength, and still he failed to completely stop it. After what felt like an eternity of struggle against the system the being, for a brief moment, unlocked the full strength of the skill, unlocking the full control over the system he lost. Even more so, he remembered everything, and he realized this was about more than mere spite. In the next instant he was gone, his soul and body torn to shreds by the very system he nearly regained complete control over.