Vol 3 | Chapter 7 | Devil's Warpath

It had been a few months since Rimuru had left Tempest to fulfill Shizue's lingering regrets. During that time, he had become a teacher, and through some effort and dealing with Tanya's 'Murder Machine 9000™', he had managed to stabilize their formerly soon-to-combust souls, preventing their untimely demise.

He enjoyed being their teacher and working in a relatively low-stress (compared to what he usually did) environment, but he was still the ruler of a staggeringly huge nation, a fact that he couldn't just so easily ignore. Sure, Tanya was capable enough to rule Tempest without him, but her Thought Communication messages implied that it wasn't sustainable for too long. Doing the work for two left some strain on the demon, despite all of her abilities.

Besides, he had a lot he needed to catch up on. For one, Tanya seemed to have just created a whole other state in his absence, something he absolutely had to check in on as the person primarily responsible for domestic ruling. The Kusha mountains were a brief topic of concern regarding its potential integration in a previous meeting, but the issue was shoved off, not seen as urgent at the time. But somehow, Tanya had done it within a month, and with virtually zero injuries or casualties.

There was also the very realistic concern that Tanya, unrestrained by Rimuru, would go crazy with the TRI and its projects and that he would return to see skyscrapers and an airfield in his fantasy world. He was exaggerating in his own mind, sure, but they weren't completely out of the realm of possibility, given Tanya's track record. A quick investigation before he left suggested they were already on the pathway to creating nuclear-powered, anti-everything systems, akin to the anti-air systems a certain gun-heavy nation produced in the early 21st century.

When he left, he had given Shizue's mask to the children as a parting gift, Chloe in particular ending up with it. He felt like it was fitting, considering it was handed down to himself along with Shizue's wish. Now that it was fulfilled, it felt best if he passed it down as well, Shizue had been given it from the hero, after all. They were her students, they deserved a memento.

The path back home would be a fairly quick one, all he needed to do was use Spatial Movement to teleport back to Tempest. Of course, he was walking now to make a bit of distance from the city before he activated the Skill. Someone magically disappearing would cause some concerns, especially considering the rarity of spatial magic in general.

«Notice: You have been enclosed within a wide-range barrier.»

Rimuru sighed, 'I didn't want to go home easily, anyways...'

«All spatial interference skills that would permit exit are sealed.»

«Spatial Movement cannot be used.»

'That's not good...'

Rimuru's attention was quickly brought to the shadow of a nearby tree as Souei manifested below it, an obvious body double, yet one that looked gravely injured. If it was a real kijin, the wounds inflicted would require immediate medical attention to survive, fatal if left unattended.

"Souei!" Rimuru was quick to rush over to the injured kijin as he knelt below the tree, the latter dropping his blades from a seeming lack of strength.

"Great Rimuru... Please run from here... Enemies... More than-" Souei disappeared in a puff of smoke, the body double unable to maintain itself in the shadow within the barrier.

'I need to contact Tanya, she might know what's going on, I just need to use the ri-'

«Notice: Communication via the ring has also been cut off.»

'What?! I thought it was supposed to be able to communicate even through Unlimited Imprisonment!

«The ring is capable of communication over incredibly long distances and through dimensions, however, the barrier is deliberately cutting off communication through extrication and jamming of magicules. Unlimited Imprisonment does not have anything deliberately preventing communication, and as such the ring can work under normal circumstances.»