chapter 9

The Welland Canal sunrise had always been my sanctuary, but with Kenny beside me, it transformed into a vibrant kaleidoscope of emotions. Our silent agreement – sunrises for significant moments – held a sweet intimacy, and this, celebrating my birthday, felt particularly precious. He'd brought me here on my first day of high school, but that story, like the golden promise of dawn, would paint another canvas. Right now, I simply wanted to revel in the view with him.

"Thank you, Kenny," I breathed, words inadequate for the warmth swirling in my chest.

He met my gaze, his smile like a sunrise chasing away any lingering shadows. "It's your birthday, it's the least I could do." My breath snagged. His smile, the sun illuminating his features, was my very reason for light.

"It's... perfect," he breathed, turning to the spectacle unfolding before us.

"It is," I echoed, my eyes catching not just the sky ablaze, but the sun-kissed wonder on his face. He looked ethereal, bathed in that raw luminescence. His eyes held an unfamiliar gleam, lips curved in a heart-stopping smile, his brows unfurrowed, a divine glow gracing his features. He was an angel, a cruel irony considering he was the one who bestowed that label upon me.

As his head dipped towards me, my heart fluttered, and I hastily redirected my gaze toward the sky, attempting to mirror his awe. It wasn't as easy as replicating his sunshine smile, a melody he seemed to master effortlessly.

The blurry rush of the side road drew my gaze more than the face beside me. Memories swirled like dust devils, a fragment of a time when he was my everything. Now, his mere presence tightened my chest, a cruel reminder of who was with me, but not with me.

As we turned onto the familiar street, the one painted with memories of both our childhood homes, I finally dared a glance. Kenneth's frown etched a furrow between his brows, his eyes focused on something far beyond the windshield. But the tense set of his shoulders, the rigidity that spoke of unease, betrayed his outward composure.

My sigh was a feather in the wind as he pulled into my parents' driveway. Unsnapping my seatbelt, I stepped out, turning to face him before he could. He remained frozen, his gaze still a million miles away.

"Thank you, Kenneth," I said, my voice laced with an ache only he could hear. "And I'm sorry. I know you wanted a sunrise together, and I..." I swallowed, the lump in my throat threatening to choke the apology. "I messed it up."

His head snapped towards me, catching the ghost of a sad smile before I turned away. Each step towards the house was a battle against the pull of the car, against the urge to run back and mend the invisible fracture I'd caused. He was my strength, once. Now, he was a weakness I couldn't afford.