5 - Time

The first lesson the following day was Care of Magical Creatures. I knew everything I possibly could about magical creatures already, but I thought I might as well come along and help out. I was going to take Care of Magical Creatures for NEWTs, so I would need practice for the exams. I was the first one down to breakfast that day, and I hurriedly ate and prepared for my lesson, making sure to grab a copy of Newt's book, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, and put it in my bag.

I got to the class 5 minutes earlier than the teacher himself. I believed his name was... Professor Kettleburn. I took the opportunity to have a look at the area where we would be learning about the creatures. It looked beautiful. I had been there many times before, but I was always happy around the Care of Magical Creatures area. My thoughts were disrupted by the entering of the professor. I looked up at him, trying not to look like I was staring at him. He had... a peg leg, an eyepatch, and had mad spikey white hair, and generally looked mad. I loved it.

"Are you a third-year? Here for Care of Magical Creatures?" The professor asked.

"Yes, professor." I said, avoiding his eye contact.

"What's your name?" He asked.

I smiled. "I'm Lia Scamander, professor."

The professor seemed to realise something, as his facial expression changed. He smiled excitedly. "Lia Scamander! Newton Scamander's daughter?"

I nodded. "Yes, I'm Newt's daughter. Nice to meet you, professor."

The professor walked over to the front of the clearing as more students, Edwin and Ellen among them, entered the area.

"Right, well, gather, everyone."

I signalled for Edwin and Ellen to come to me. We walked closer to the area together, ready to revise magical creatures. The professor turned to us.

"Hello, Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs, and welcome to Care of Magical Creatures!" He said enthusiastically. To be honest, he looked more enthusiastic than us students.

He took out a Bowtruckle and held it on his hand.

"Apart from you three, Scamander, Goodwill, Emerson, could anyone tell me what creature this is?"

Anna put her hand up, and the professor smiled. "Yes..."

"Anna Roberts, Professor Kettleburn. It's a Bowtruckle."

Professor Kettleburn smiled again. "Correct! Now, Scamander, answer this. Why does this Bowtruckle like this tree, but not this one?" He pointed to two trees. I smiled.

"Well, it's because Bowtruckles only colonise in trees with wand-quality wood. The Willow tree has wand-quality wood, whereas the Silver Birch tree hasn't. That's why the Bowtruckle is attracted to the Willow tree and not-"

"The Silver Birch, exactly, Scamander! Five points for Hufflepuff! Now, Goodwill-" He smiled at Edwin, who looked up at him. "Could you tell me exactly why Bowtruckles are commonly used by thieves?"

"It's because Bowtruckles can pick locks, sir."

Professor Kettleburn laughed. "I'm going to have fun with you lot, aren't I? Five points to Gryffindor!" He said, before he turned to the other students. "Now, can anyone else tell me exactly what insect is used to distract a Bowtruckle long enough to cut wood from its tree?"

One of the Gryffindors put his hand up eagerly. Professor Kettleburn pointed to him. The Gryffindor smiled before answering. "A stag beetle."

"Um... it's, uh... it's actually a woodlouse." I said quietly, looking down.