Prologue

One day a girl was born. For Lagertha and Jarl Kalf, she became the first long-awaited child, and they doted on her. She was named Eve, after the goddess of the yew tree. Lagertha seemed to love her more than anyone else in the world. It was a miracle, because the seer predicted to the warrior that she would never have children again.

Every second, every moment Lagertha thought that the gods were about to take her daughter away from her. This should not be the case, for the prophecy must be fulfilled. But as time went on, the girl grew up and turned into a cheerful, mischievous little girl, pleasing others. Only Bjorn knew about her. He thought about Eve with a smile, loved and promised to protect and protect.Because of the problems and the disappearance of Ragnar, Lagerthe had to stay in Kattegat from time to time. All these years Eve lived with her father in Hedeby, but when the girl was six years old, Jarl Kalf was killed, and Lagertha again had to find shelter for her daughter to protect her.

The girl grew up, her whole world narrowed down to quiet sounds. All other senses were heightened to the limit. The image of her mother — a beautiful warrior with a kind and just heart, and her brother — who sometimes taught her to hold a sword in her hands. But everything was forgotten, all this time the girl lived in hope of a miracle. Far away, in some wilderness, in a small Viking settlement, Eve rarely began to see her mother and brother, and by the age of sixteen she began to fade. The girl turned into a beautiful girl, but the best years passed by and nothing aroused her interest. The only desire is to see Kattegat and mother.

                                  ***   
  Queen Aslaug was wearily happy when she saw her newborn son. This was her fourth child. Her and Ragnar Lodbrok.

—Ivar," she said, "I'll call him Ivar."
Despite the fact that the boy was born with an injury, a cripple, this made Queen Aslaug love her son even more.

Being the youngest, the boy grew up under the absolute care of his mother, but his older brothers also took care of him. They loved and protected him, although sometimes they were jealous of the fact that his mother paid more attention to Ivar than to them. The son of Ragnar Lodbrok—whatever he is—but he is the son of Ragnar. Nothing prevented him from being the best, smart and strong. But all this paled before the pain that he had experienced since birth. Hate, hate, hate for everyone except mother and father. Only they saw in him the future ruler and conqueror.Ivar lived with these dreams all his youth, nurtured his self-esteem, growing in himself a wise and unshakable warrior. And with the death of her mother, who was killed by the same Lagertha, everything only got worse. His hope, his support and ideal were gone. Ivar the Boneless began to cultivate anger and revenge.