Landing Site

A speedboat cuts swiftly through the ocean swells beneath the looming cliffs of Isla Sorna. Illegal Costa Rican parasail operator Enrique Cardoso helps Americans Ben Hildebrand and twelve-year-old Eric Kirvy already wearing life-vests -- strap themselves into a two person parasail harness. Ben and Eric clamber onto a makeshift platform that hangs over the back of the board. Dangling from Ben's neck is a camcorder.

Ben: You make sure to get us as close as you can, okay? If it's a good trip, I'll give you a little extra.

Enrique: Don't worry. I take you close. But not too close. (rubbing Eric's head) You don't want them to eat you.

Enrique heads toward the driver's seat and a large second-hand winch bolted to the deck.

Enrique: Ready, amigos?

Ben and Eric nod excitedly and give the thumbs up. Ben lifts the camcorder to the record the action. Enrique jams the down the throttle down, and with a loud roar, the speedboat shoots forward. Soon the boat is whipping across the rolling ocean. Strapped together, Ben and Eric lean back over the passing water, intently watching for Enrique's signal. As the boat picks up speed, Enrique eyes the speedometer. Ben grabs the end of the ripcord attached to the harness. He and Eric braces themselves. Enrique finally signals with a pulling motion. He pulls the winch, Ben yanks the cord and WOOOSH! A brightly colored parasail blossoms behind the boat, hoisting Ben and Eric aloft. In a big block letters on the parasail is stitched "DINO-SOAR." The towline unsold rapidly from its enormous reel. Ben and Eric climb higher and higher. Enrique keeps an eye on the clients. When they reach a certain height, he locks off the reel. High overhead, Ben and Eric are floating in wonderful, quiet splendor. The motor of the boat now sounds strangely distant. Down below, the boat enters a think blanket of fog. Eric points excitedly at the islands as Ben films him with the camera. Then, a sudden tug on the thing line cause Ben to drop the camera, which now dangles from his neck.

Eric: What was that?

A second tug...and now the faintest of screams. Ben and Eric look down to find that the boat has disappeared into the low bank of fog. By the time the boat emerges on the far side of the mist...there is no sign of Enrique. The deck is splattered with blood. As Ben considers the driverless boat...

Eric : Ben!

Ben glances over at Eric, staring in horror at something below. Following his gaze, Ben finds that their boat is only moments away from crashing into a large reef. Sticking out of the water, the imposing reef is being battered by waves. As the boat smashes into the reef, it splinters into a number of pieces. A panicked Ben turns to Eric.

Ben: Unclip your line!

Eric and Ben frantically unclip their lines. Catching an updraft, the parasailers float upward. A strong wind sends them wafting over the daunting cliffs of Isla Sorna...

Scene Change

Two plastic dinosaurs enter the frame and do battle accompanied by a child's ferocious sounds.

Child: RRRRROW! GRRRRRR! WINDER TO REVEAL -

Charlie, a three-year old boy, plays in a sandbox with his favorite toy dinosaurs. Alan Grant squats next to him and watches with great delight.

Ellie Satler  stands over them, an infant in her arms a picture of the perfect family.

Grant: Oh, actually, Charlie, those two are herbivores. They wouldn't be interested in fighting each other. But these... (picking up two other dinosaurs) See, these are carnivores. And this one here -- see its claws -- this one here uses its claws to gouge at the throat of its opponent...

As Grant demonstrates with some grunt and groans of his own, he only succeeds in frightening the boy.

Ellie: Uh, Alan?