Chapter one

Sitting in the tranquil forest of my hometown. A place I haven't been to for years. I sit where the light breaks through, streaming light into a thicket of trees and shrubbery. My familiars play curiously in the forest, their first arrival here.
"How long has it been?"
sighing, I look up at my traveling companion, Lucius.
"Not long enough."
I say, lift my finger as a butterfly fly by and lands on it.
"This was my sanctuary as a child; I always loved animals, and the forest's security brought me peace. It was quiet."
I feel something brushing against my legs. As I look down, I see both familiars, Eclipse and Aurora trying to get my attention. I never understood how familiars took their form and why it differed for each person. But I find them being foxes to be oddly comforting. Their names suit them well, Eclipse's black fur and Aurora, White with blue hued fur. Petting them, I release a sigh calming myself down.
"Let us head into town. We will see what this reunion entails."

The forest is small and soon starts to disperse, revealing a colorful village tightly fit together near a cape. The sound and smell of the ocean's salt water begin to consume the air. Lucius looks around, surprised.
"You grew up here? I thought you were a Sylvanus?"
I sigh heavily, looking at the village slowing my pace as I turn to Lucius and say,
"I am a Sylvanus, but not by blood. My original family is from here though. Although I wasn't here for too long, I do remember most of the people here are like their houses, bright outside to others and dark inside behind closed doors."
My companion chuckles softly to himself before responding.
"Everyone has something dark they hide away."
I watch the familiars run ahead of us, chasing each other playfully.
"Perhaps, just be careful."
A fisherman noticed us approaching and waved happily. We repay the courtesy and watch him continue his course before arriving at our destination. I heard the yelling before we reached the door, my companion however didn't seem to notice anything. I just looked at him dubiously before knocking on the door.

Silence, the voices faded away like they were never there. But no one but me seemed to be surprised or confused. Did I hear it in my head?
"She doesn't live there anymore, my boy."
I turn around to see the village chief. I bow slightly.
"If I may ask-"
The chief cuts me off with a sharp grunt and waves for me to follow him. I look to Lucius, who nods and follows the chief with me close behind. I recognized the path immediately; He was taking us to the village gravesite, but out of respect, I stayed quiet as we walked to a relatively new grave.

I barely gaze at it long enough to see her name before looking at the chief.
"What happened to her?"
The look he gives me is of regret, maybe even sorrow, he looks away, averting his eyes and sighs heavily.
"She married another man; this one didn't end well for her. He was brought to justice a month ago."
I begin to walk away before the chief grabs my shoulder.
"Please, you are my grandson, and she was my daughter. You don't have to do this alone."
I look back slightly.
"It was for the best, for all our sake."
A roar erupts from the chief.
"She was your mother! My daughter! Do you feel nothing?"
I turn to the village chief, staring him straight in the eyes.
"How many times did I go to you, seeking help? How many times did I ask to be free of her and be with you after she beat and abused me? You left me with her to suffer and continue being treated that way. I owe neither of you anything. She doesn't even deserve the courtesy of having me mourn her. If it wasn't for the Sylvanus family, I would probably be dead with her right now."
With that, I turned around and began to leave once more.
"The house is in your name if you want it, Balthial."

Still walking away, I shout,
"Sell it for me and give it to the orphanage. They need it more than I do."

The sound of the familiars hopping to my side fills the silence of the gravesite, the magic flickering around them as their flames floating near them dance with their movements, an eerie sound for such a peaceful place. Finally, Lucius, with his heavy armor cladding together, disturbed the peace. "Are you sure about this? To have your own house or even the money from that house could easily fund you for years" Thinking back at everything that happened in that house sends shivers down my spine. "The guild provides jobs for us and gives us stable work. The kids at the orphanage suffer daily. They need that money, unlike me." his pace slowed, probably disappointed, but it was for the best. "Right, I guess. Where to now?" I look at my childhood village before walking back toward the forest. "We might as well find some work somewhere far from here. Maybe the guild has something for us. Have you heard of the new rumor of the shadow fiend?"