Chapter two

"What a wasted trip. We could have been off doing something important rather than just a house call."
We had been on the road for two days heading back to the village, and we both felt the fatigue.
"I didn't want to be there any more than you did. Either way, it's over and done. The village's lights are shining in the distance. It's not much further now. Let's just get there, and we can rest."
looking behind, I see the familiars playfully following. At least someone has endless stamina.

The air becomes thick, saturated with the overwhelming amount of magic resonating from the crystals rising from the ground. Orbs of pure magic float harmlessly through the air, like wisps or fireflies, and the crystals themselves glow beautifully, representing the elemental magic they hold. I look down and grab one of the flowers, Lily of the valley, growing in massive quantities from the magical influence on them.
"This forest is truly majestic."
Lucius scoffs as he walks faster toward the village, now within eyes view. The guild of mages is the first thing everyone sees when they break the forest's barrier.

The village is silent illuminated by soft lavender moonlight. The same crystals rising from the forest and fields are scattered around the town, some floating harmlessly just above the ground, others poking out. The magic and glow of them adding to the beauty of it all. Indeed, a magical place to be. We entered the hall, Eclipse and Aurora playfully running around the empty corridor, recognizing our home.
"We need to rest. Come morning. We will inform the guild master of our return and see what is required of us."
Lucius leaves me for his corridor without much more than a grunt. We have been on the road for 13 hours today. I don't blame him for being irritable. I enter my room. Antique bookshelves filled with books encase the room with the potent scent of leather and ink. Oh, how I missed the aroma. I collapse on the bed, followed by the familiars hopping on and laying on top of me, cuddly little things. Hopefully, when we speak to the guild master tomorrow, he has something worthwhile to get my mind off what happened these last few days.

"My condolences once again, I'm sure it was a little troubling even with the disposition you have of her."
I look to the guild master, a well-tailored man, maybe 6' with well-trimmed beard and hair to match. Yet behind all that glamor the scars and muscles from many battles and wars he has face rests upon his body, but still, he is very kind, stern, but kind. Ever since leaving the Sylvanus hold to join the guild, he took me in like his own, I've seen him as a father figure even when I hardly see him myself. The little I did he took a fondness to me that made me feel like he was a father figure that of which I never truly had. He looks me up and down waiting for a response.
"I have little feelings for the events that conspired over her. But I'm sure the children will be happy with the generous donation given to them from her house sale, maybe they will have a better home life."
The guild master looks at me, his sternness turning into concern. Defensively I say.
"I didn't need the money; the guild pays me efficiently and with housing provided I can easily do what I need to and save what I can. Those children needed it more than I"
He sighs loudly before looking at me.
"I'm sorry then, that you have to live with a heart so heavy that even her death means nothing to you. She truly must have hurt you to make you this way. It explains why you never speak of her."

I go back to attention before giving my report.
"The mission is a success and we have arrived home safely, no casualties or injuries. All objectives were met and completed within parameters. Permission to set this assignment as complete and acquire a new quest?"
The guild master looks at me, sighs heavily before waving at me, giving me the all clear. I bow as he states.
"Rest If you need it, but if you are ready, a few quests were posted today. Go have a look."

The guild hall is bustling, the morning rush of guild members grabbing jobs, chatting about adventures, and prepping for the day. As I leave my room, the central crystal levitates delicately in the center of the guild hall, tethered majestically with celestial magic. The beauty of the prismatic lighting refracting the sun's rays creates a surreal atmosphere even I am still stunned by. I start heading down the room, following the angelic lights, only to abruptly be forced from my trance by hearing the rumors of the new phantom threat. It's probably a story someone made up to hide they failed a mission, trying to justify their mistakes. These aren't uncommon as of late; at this point, it's more annoying than not. I look down to see the energetic familiars spotting a fellow summoner's familiar and prance happily to greet them, the cat like familiar nervously stares at them before seeming to relax and playing around the central crystal with them; they always seem to be drawn by the magic it radiates.

I spot Lucius sitting at a table across the hall. I sit down promptly, grabbing an apple from the bowl on the table. I take a bite before asking,
"Any news of importance? Missions' worth taking?"
He takes a swig of his drink and sighs deeply.
"Good morning to you too. How is the family? Oh, well, they are doing great, thanks!"
I choke on the piece of apple, holding back a laugh. I look at him, suppressing my laughter, and say,
"Who would ever marry an ugly bastard like you?"
We both laugh heartily. He pulls a scroll from his coat,
"I took the liberty of picking this quest for us. With your ability as a summoner and my unique talents, it shouldn't be too difficult."

I stare at the scroll for a minute. Why does he always pick the biggest things to kill? I look around the room at all the people in the hall, all the races, and diversity. I, as far as I know, am human, but my height is far above even some of the tallest humans. I tower over most people outside a few people here and there. But hill trolls? They dwarf me and anyone else here. I sigh before handing him the scroll and saying,
"I'm picking the next quest, this is reckless, but I will do it this last time."
He chuckles and says "I thought you were raised by the Sylvanus family, they are renowned monster hunters, aren't they? This should be a piece of cake for you. What are you scared of?" Feeling proud of himself he grabs some fruit from the bowl on the table. I snort in annoyance.
"They are, I was not born of them. No matter how much training I did with them growing up I could never match even the weakest of them in a fight. I'm definitely not a Sylvanus but I'm the next best thing thanks to them."
Lucius looks to me as we head to the guild shop.
"I heard they use magic and possibly deal with a god or even demon for their magic, is that true?"
I shake my head in annoyance.
"If that was the case, don't you think I would be as powerful as them? No, unless it's something in their bloodline I don't think they do rituals for it. Maybe all those years as monster hunters are just paying off and it's embedded in them."

Leaving the guild shop, I turn to Lucius and ask,
"Did you get everything you need? Are we ready to head out?"
Mumbling to himself, filling the last item into his bag, he says,
"I swear the prices are constantly going up every time we go in there. They are cheating us. Aye, I grabbed it all."
chuckling and shaking my head I call to my familiars, the magical link connecting our minds guides them back to me. They prance excitedly as they realize the next adventure is beginning. I look to my companion and say,
"Let's head out; no need to burn any more daylight. It will be noon soon. We need all the daylight we have. It's a five-day journey after all, and I, for one, would like to be able to relax tomorrow in a tavern if we reach the next town in a reasonable amount of time."
Lucius looks at the store with a scowl before we begin to leave the guild halls.

The guild doors erupt open as we pass through them, sunlight basking us in its warmth, the morning air filled with the saturated magic of the village washes over us, refreshing and energizing; Aurora and Eclipse sniff the air and begin to chase each other playfully. I aloofly watch them playing seeing Aurora jump as a cricket jumps out of the grass. Eclipse jumps for it but misses, they watch as it narrowly escapes being captured. I lean over the railing of the guild hall, staring at the wisps of pure magic floating in the air as they manifest and dissipate, the crystals in the village breaching the surface of the ground or fully developed, emerging from the earth entirely and floating harmlessly in place. I watch as a newly emerged crystal gets guided near a walkway to add lighting. To think, magic in its purest form is used as lighting for a small village because they are so abundant. If these were sold to other magical schools, guilds, and maybe small ones, the shards shed off on occasion to private sector magic users.

But I understand they don't want this place to be known too much. It is somewhat secretive and is a feature most enjoyed in this guild. It was mainly from the request of the villagers who have lived here for many generations. How it was found is still a mystery to me, but it doesn't matter. I look at Lucius impatiently, looking around, side-eyeing me to see if I will get a move on. He is impatient, but he never was one for sitting still. Even if he complains when he is, I push myself off the railing and begin walking down the stairs before saying,
"Let's get this over with, shall we?"