Hiding Scars

Osgood always wears long sleeves, at least at work. Most people used to look at them in confusion when there was hot weather and they were still wearing long sleeves. But by now most people brush it off, thinking that she just does it because it goes better with her Doctor themed outfits. No-one at work knows the truth about why they always wear long sleeves. Not even her girlfriend, Kate. The only people who know are their sister, their aunt and uncle who took them both in as kids, and the Doctor.

One night both Kate and Osgood are spending time at Kate's flat. Both of them are wearing pajamas but even though Osgood is wearing shorts, she is still wearing a long sleeve shirt. Kate on the other hand is dressed in both shorts and a tank top. Osgood is cuddled onto their girlfriend's chest and is about to fall asleep when Kate prompt's them,

'Hey, Os? Why do you always wear long sleeves? Is it a dysphoria thing? Like how you don't want people using your birth first name or how you don't want to be called miss? I just want to understand more."

Osgood looks up, shame and nervousness is flooded in her eyes. They move backwards on the couch and wraps their arms around their body. It also seems like her breathing rate is going up. And then they can't breathe as an anxiety induced asthma attack. Kate reaches over her shoulder quickly and grabs Osgood's inhaler. She forces her partner into a sitting position and places the inhaler into Osgood's mouth.

"ALright Osgood. I need you to take a deep breath for me, okay?" Kate says her voice gentle and calm.

Osgood inhales and Kate pushes down on the inhaler so Osgood is taking it. Osgood takes two puffs and then her breathing seems to regulate once more. Kate sets down the inhaler and Osgood grabs onto one of Kate's arms and holds in in theirs. When she fully calms down, she opens her mouth.

"I don't wear long sleeves for any dysphoria reasons. I'm sorry that I reacted like that. Only four people know the real reason." Osgood explains.

"You do not need to tell me if it makes you uncomfortable. But if you want to tell me why, I am willing to listen." Kate tells them, rubbing one of their shoulders with her hand.

"No, I want to tell you. I wear long sleeves all of the time because I have a lot of scars on my arms, and a lot of them haven't faded and sometimes I feel ashamed of them. Most of all, I just don't want people to point them out. I know you are kind enough to not make a big deal of them, but a lot of people would stare and point. I went though a tough time after my parents died and I moved in with Uncle Tom and Aunt Alice."

And all Kate does is hug her partner.

*****

The next day, a pair of arms wrap around Kate as she is cooking breakfast. A pair of bare arms. Kate turns around and sees Osgood in on of her old t-shirts. And Kate almost cries at the fact that Osgood is so comfortable around her.