Chapter 15: Wylan

Wylan looked along the row, feeling nervous. Being in a silent, dark library alone at night was scary enough, even without the prospect of booby traps or hidden assassins. He took a deep breath, and stepped into the aisle of books. It was long and tunnel-like, but Wylan could see no light at the end of it. It was just dark, cold and empty.  He heard a sound somewhere and turned to see an empty passage. It must have been Matthias in the row next to him. He gulped, trying to calm his nerves and paranoia. This was fine, he was going to be fine. He quickened his pace, realising that the faster the door was found, the faster they could all group together again, and the faster this would all be over. Out of nervous habit, he touched his hand to his satchel, feeling the shape and weight of the bombs resting there. For emergencies, he reminded himself. As he rounded the corner, a new thought struck his mind. What am I doing here? He thought it often, he knew, but it was like a persistent bug, always coming back. Do I belong here? How did I end up risking my life with these criminals? Is this my life now and forever? He was so caught up in his thoughts, which wasn't the best place to be on a heist, that he didn't notice the door until he almost walked into it. It was small, and slightly underwhelming, but the locking mechanism, which he assumed was the big metal wheel in the centre, looked complicated and strong. Wylan opened his mouth to call out to the others, but before he could, something hit him in the back, pulling the air from his lungs and knocking him to the floor. He gasped, trying to get oxygen in, but another punch hit his shoulder, sending him into a spiral of pain. Then someone flipped Wylan onto his back, and wedged a knee under his chin. Wylan was in so much pain he could barely think, his shoulder was bloody, his lungs were starved of oxygen, and his throat was aching as he was slowly choked. Wylan closed his eyes as he realised that this was the end. He hadn't even had the chance to fight back. 

Sorry for another short chapter. I hope you are enjoying :)