[two: billy hargrove]

author's note: for clarification, i will refuse to include any sort of writing regarding the racist sentiment of billy. i do not stand for that  and if you relate to billy in regards to the racist rhetoric, then you are not welcome on my page. everybody is welcome here, but i do not support racism in any form. 
-

the air was colder than you remembered during school that morning. something had changed, maybe the bad weather was finally approaching hawkins that you had predicted. you stood outside the school, leaning against the wall as you looked out towards the parking lot, waiting for steve to come meet you.

you were instead greeted with billy hargrove, the one man that you wished to never see again. the weather did change, he was the cause of it. 

"hey," he stated plainly, walking over to you. the hair on your arms stood up with the anxiety that quickly approached your mind, causing your eyes to shift towards his as they met. he smiled, pulling a cigarette out of a pack that was in his back pocket. he offered one, you neglecting it, before lighting it and letting out an exhale.

you were still waiting for steve, hoping he would come by soon. you hated waiting, no wonder he never kept a girlfriend if this was how he treated them. billy looked over at you, his eyes wandering around your features as he met your eyes eventually. you weren't paying attention to him, trying to block out that he was there. 

"so, not even a hello?" he asked, leaning back against the wall as well as you shook your head, trying to ignore him still. your eyes were taking note of everybody exiting the building but steve.  "who are you even waiting on that's leaving you standing here alone?" 

"that's none of your business," you muttered, digging your boot into the dirt. 

billy chuckled, a low, dark chuckle that reminded you of earlier that year. 

"what do you even want from me?" you asked tenatively. 

"why do you think i want something from you?" he asked, looking over at you once more as your eyes trailed over to his. you let out a sigh, shaking your head and tucking some hair behind your ears. 

"i'm not playing head games right now, hargrove. you remember exactly what you did last fall. i'm not here to play your field this summer. i'm not a puppet," you replied, seeing steve finally come out from the building with mike, lucas, and will. your mind was wandering over the events that transpired last year as he laughed a little, letting out a small puff from the cigarette before looking back at you once more. 

"not playing any games, angel, just asking a question," he replied.

"well, i didn't ask you for anything so just leave me alone."

he laughed once more, standing up off the wall as you made eye contact with him once more. he could see what you were thinking, it was like he could read your mind. you hated knowing he could do that to you, it was why you always avoided him.

"oh, i see," he muttered. "you think i'd do it again, don't you?"

"you did it before, why wouldn't you do it again?" you asked. he shrugged, blowing a puff of smoke into the air before steve came over with the kids as they greeted you. you looked over at them, smiling as you greeted them back as well.

"what are you trying to do, hargrove?" steve asked as you shook your head, nudging him in the side. he looked over at you as your eyes said no. he turned to face him again, shaking his head as billy merely flinched at his presence. 

"just being friendly. see you around, _________," he muttered, walking away as you shook your head. your eyes looked back up towards steve's as you shook your head once more. 

"don't even worry about it, i'm fine," you replied. "besides, summer is here and i want to go." 

mike looked back over towards where billy had gone before looking back over at you. 

"what happened between you two?" he asked as you looked towards him before steve stepped in.

"okay, wheeler, don't worry about it. she's fine," he replied as you sighed, thinking about the future of the summer and the plans you wanted to make. you were excited about getting a job, going out with your friends, spending time at the mall, trying to enjoy your life. but billy hargrove was always at the back of your mind. the thoughts of last year were overwhelming.

"you said you were going to call, what happened?" you asked him, climbing in through the window as he shrugged, tossing the cigarette out before pulling you close. 

"my dad was being an ass," he muttered, pressing his lips to yours before moving down to your neck as you pushed him off you slightly. his eyes met yours, confusion glazed over them. 

"i just need a second," you replied. "i'm not ready. i just want to to take a second and talk." 

"talk about what? i'm not here to talk to you, _______. i'm here to date you, to be there for you. i don't want to talk about shit," he replied as you groaned, going over to his bed and taking a seat as you looked over towards the window. he could tell what you were thinking, going over to the window and standing in front of it. 

"why are you so good at knowing my mind?" you asked, seeing him come over, pressing his hand onto your thigh as you shook your head. he groaned slightly, causing you to furrow your eyebrows. "if you are going to get pissy that i'm not trying to have sex with you, i'm leaving. i'm not here to do that. if you want to be my boyfriend, that means everything that comes with it. i'm not here for one night stands and shit." 

billy stood up, going over to his mirror as he grabbed a lighter and a cigarette. 

"then leave, i don't want to see you right now," he replied as you sat up in shock. you looked over at him, wondering if he was being honest. but you could tell by the way he was standing, avoiding your gaze. you groaned, shaking your head as you angrily stood up.

"don't ask for me back here, hargrove. i never want to see you again," you said, climbing back out his window. 

"______, did you hear me?" steve asked as you looked over at him in confusion. 

"hm?" you asked.

he laughed a little, pulling you closely as your mind wandered back into a state of bliss. you had to ignore billy's actions last summer and focus on steve now. you had moved on, rightfully so, and this was important for you.