Chapter 22: The Western Air Temple

'' thinking
() author notes
Blah random voice change
[] reading
** setting/facial/emotional change
_______________________________________________________________________________________

*Riding on Appa*

*1st pov*

It has been merely a few hours since the invasion against the Fire Lord, and our failure to stop them once again. I had awoken right as we landed to find that Appa had grown tired from carrying all of us, and so we would have to walk the rest of the way. Whenever I looked back at where we came from, despite how far we've come, I feel I can still see the cloud of ash from the erupting volcano, and while I wish it would fill me with some hope, it seems to only remind me of our failure. We began our journey as we traveled under the blazing sun, the same sun that was once blocked by the eclipse now burning us with its intense heat. As we traveled across the flat barren land, everyone hung their heads in sorrow and exhaustion. This whole day has been nothing but disappointment, and now we were all just ready to stop and rest.

Katara: *defeated* This is humiliating.

Sokka: *blunt*  Do you mean getting thoroughly spanked by the Fire Nation, or having to walk all the way to the Western Air Temple?

Katara: Both.

Aang: Sorry guys, but Appa gets tired carrying all these people. *pets Appa*

.

.

.

Teo: I wonder how the rest of the troops are.

Haru: They're probably on their way to a prison. *looks down* Seems like my dad just got out, only to end up going back in.

(Y):.... So what happens once we get to the temple?

Toph: *looking down* I don't know... I would say we plan another attack, but the eclipse and the army was our best shot, I wonder if we even can take the Fire Nation on again.

Aang: *uplifting* As long as Hope stays in our hearts, there will always be a chance. We just need to take it.

.

.

.

The Duke: *sad* I miss Pipsqueak.

Sokka: *upset* I miss not having blisters on my feet.

We kept on walking until suddenly I felt the vibrations of an odd structure beneath my feet. Definitely not naturally forming.

Toph: *hopeful* Hey, we're here! I can feel it!

While the others looked around and only saw the cliff before us, I realized that the Air Nomads must have built their temple on the side of the cliff, though something was weird about their buildings.

Katara: Uh... I think your feet need their eyes checked.

(Y): She's not wrong, I can feel it too.

Aang: They're both right, we're here.

Sokka: *looking around* I don't see it?

(Y): Because it's beneath us.

Toph: *excited* Wow, it's amazing.

We then traveled down on Appa's back as we saw the temple from a distance, seeing that the buildings were built upside down so that they hung like stalagmites from the cliff. And while the buildings themselves were upside down in shape, everything around and inside them were still right side up.