C H A P T E R 3

"Why you playing with yo food?" Maxwell asked

"Why you playing with yo food?" Maxwell asked. Over the couple of months his and Junie's relationship had blossomed, she had become family in every sense of the word. He was protective, dutifully, and caring. All the things she never knew she craved. Vea, although it took a while she warmed up to have another woman in her house, it was like she was her child. Flesh from her womb. Maxwell leaned back in the chair and watched her continue to pick over her food.

"What's with you today Junie?"

She started to speak before pausing and looking at her hands. The butterflies in her stomach were dancing. "I— I just. Never mind it's stupid," she said brushing off her thoughts. Maxwell leaned forward and reached his hand towards her. Biting the inside of her jaw she let her hand place in his.

"Don't push your thoughts to the side. Shorty anything you have to think or have to say is important," he assured. Only he could bring a smile to her face when she felt so low.

"What if... What if I slip up? Max, this shit is not easy. Every time I hear the faintest of a flicker I think." She shook her head as she fought back her misery. "It won't ever let go of me. Then Big Daddy." She stopped when she saw the disgust Maxwell had on his face. "My father, he had been asking about me. I don't know."

That nigga asking for a death wish he thought. Maxwell squeezed her hand giving all the reassurance that his words could have. Junie was strong, she was brilliant, and she was a conqueror. Somehow she had eased her way into his heart. He never had a best friend, but he was sure that's what she was to him.

"Maxwell, what's good with you? We meet again ma," Kayron said as he walked towards their table. Maxwell wasn't in the realm of cockblocking, but Junie was fragile. Plus, that nigga Kayron handle bitches as if they were disposable. Maxwell watched with slit eyes as he grabbed Junie's hand and tried to place a kiss, but she snatched it back. Placing a mug on her pretty face. Maxwell couldn't help but smirk, Junie was changing right before his eyes.

Rex appeared and shook up with Maxwell. After that night and Shawnys, they had been thick as thieves terrorizing the streets. These two were making big moves and, if Tec wasn't going to step aside, then they had enough power to give him a push.

"So Junie, when you gon stop playin'? Real talk, you the one that makes my heart beat fast," Kayron laid his hand on his heart.

"Kayron, what about yo baby moms?" She asked and his face dropped in shock. "Yeah, my nigga I know. Look at you tryna kick cute shit with me. Frontin ass nigga," she laughed through her head back.

"Junie, it aint even like tha—"

"Boy, I don't care. I told you I don't like you. You're just not my type." Maxwell shifted in his seat catching the slightest shade she had thrown his way. He brushed it off and eyes traveled over the restaurant. He was known to catch plenty of strays, but they never indulged his mind. Sex was temporary, but love was timeless. With all the women he had been with it had just been, sex.