Fifteen | Jacob

Jacob stared in silence up the tree, waiting for Hera to clamber down in that graceful way of hers. After what seemed like hours, but could have only been minutes later, Hera finally popped her head out of the greenery, and told them to go on ahead. Jacob nodded, but felt uncertainty stir in his stomach. Hera had been acting odd lately, and Jacob suspected her of hiding something.

Shaking off the feeling - and the mud on his shoes - Jacob started in the direction Hera had pointed in. He turned around to tell her he loved her, but she had already disappeared into the tree. He shrugged. She already knew where to go. Going ahead to leave Isabelle and Matthew and give them some space, Jacob was left with no one but the little voice inside his head. He sighed.

Jacob had gone off on a mental tangent and he hadn't noticed how long it had been until he ran into a tree because he hadn't been concentrating. Rubbing his sore forehead, he tried to get this thoughts together, having zoned out for so long. "Hera?" He whispered, mind instantly going to the worst case scenario. His breathing got hoarse as he yelled her name louder. "Hera?"

Spinning in a circle, Jacob started running in the direction he had come from, knowing instantly she had lied, why hadn't he just stayed with her? "Hera! Hera!" He yelled until his voice was hoarse, ignoring Matthew and Isabelle's pursuit and calling his name. Pushing back the tears that threatened to fall, Jacob kept running, trying to pace himself. "Hera!" He was going to loose his voice - he had to be careful.

There was an immense feeling of relief when he finally saw a footprint that could only be Hera's. A new sense of adrenaline filled him as he ran and ran, following her footprints and feeling inside his heart he was getting closer to her. He could almost smile through the panic.

"Hera!" He cried out when he saw a flash of short, familiar hair jogging along with a rectangular shape - the book - in her backpack. "Oh my God, Hera." He didn't even have the capacity in himself to be mad. His mind was spinning - he didn't know whether to laugh, cry, or scream. He settled for hugging Hera as she squeezed him back.

He abruptly let her go, holding her out at arm's length. "Why did you go? I thought we were in this together!" He intertwined their fingers, staring into her beautiful eyes. "I-I'm sorry," she stuttered, tears filling her eyes. Jacob immediately felt bad. "No, no, don't cry." He pulled her into another hug, hearing the rustle and snap of Isabelle and Matthew's approach. He let her go again, and she began telling them the story.

When she was done, she was hugging herself, apologising repeatedly. "I just can't believe I dragged you guys into this too." She rubbed her face, and Jacob noticed the rings under her eyes and how tired she looked. They were all tired, but she was exhausted. The mental and physical strain had been hard for her. "We're here for each other. Really." Isabelle reassured her.

When the hugs were done, they all looked to Hera - their leader. Jacob wished she could see herself how he and the others saw her. "Next stop we need Conjured blood." She looked at her feet, and opened her mouth to say something else, but Jacob interrupted. "Just use mine." He didn't know where the idea came from - it just slipped out. Hera's eyes lit up. "That could work! Do you think it counts?" For a second he saw her eyes flick up to his black ones. They must unnerve them. He was glad they never mentioned anything about them.

She looked like she wanted to say more, but Matthew put up a hand, smiling dryly. "Can we just get out of this swamp?" Everyone agreed with him instantly, nodding. Jacob slipped his hand into Hera's, and they set off.