17 | this time that felt so right

the next day we slept in. mia was clothe-less in our bed, with nothing except her nappies. the entire night she slept in between leo and i, as we protected her with our warm skin. sometimes i pretended we were a family. i never told leo these thoughts because i knew it would freak him out. in some ways, he wasn't ready for that type of relationship, and i was alright with that.

we got up around noon, when mia was still sleeping. she woke up a few times during the night, but i ushered her to asleep with a bottle of milk before leo could wake up.

i made some breakfast for us this time instead of the other way around. i used to cook a lot before mia was born, but in the recent months i stopped because there wasn't much time to do so. i decided to fry up some sausages, eggs, and some toast. while cooking the sausages leo became so impatient he pressed me for one from the pan. he tossed it in his mouth right away, followed by an 'mmmmm' to inform me it was delicious. he was so cute.

"now you've got to wait until it's ready! it'll taste better that way." i scolded him in a joking manner, turning myself away from him so he couldn't get ahold of the food.

"okay, fine." he grouched, but then slid his arms around my waist from behind. shortly after, i felt his lips nibbling on my neck, causing shivers down my spine. the shoulder parallel to his lips came up, my head tilted the same direction so that my ear touched. his lips were no longer there, but his arms were still snugly around me, unwilling to leave.

"enough!" i chuckled, struggling with the sausages in the pan. "you're disrupting my concentration!"

i faced him, brushing my lips against his before freeing the pan and spatula i held momentarily to push him onto a seat. "it's almost ready, my darling. just wait a bit longer."

he pushed his stool closer to the counter that was now between us. "when do you think mia will wake up?"

he changed the subject, probably because there wasn't much to talk about in the one before. i looked up while continued to roll the sausages around with the spatula in my hand. "i suppose not far from now. she's been good after her fever, hasn't she?"

i talked about the fever like it plagued my mind ever since it happened, but in reality it felt like so long ago. i practically forgot about it until i brought it up.

"she's one well-behaved baby, i'll say that." he spoke like there was wisdom there for him to compare to. "i would babysit for my aunt's kid by myself when i was like thirteen."

i started to put the sausages on two plates, along with all the other food i made before that. "oh, yeah? how old?"

"probably six months like mia." he assumed, taking a sip of water that was in front of him. my eyes pushed forward from my eye sockets.

"six months?! you poor thing!" i imagined the sight of thirteen year old leo with a big baby he had to take care of the entire day. he was only a baby himself. once a few years ago when we had just finished filming our new movies, i visited him and he showed me some pictures of him when he was a child. at thirteen, his little baby face made me weak.

i turned off the stove and put the pan and spatula in the sink. then i handed him his plate full of food that he dug into right away. i smiled, then brought my plate over to eat next to him.

"yeah, it wasn't too bad. i had a lot of fun babysitting." he said in between bites of toast. i was spooning some eggs into my mouth. "this is delicious, kate. thank you for this."

he said it like he was the most grateful human being on the planet. my heart beat a bit faster after that one.

"of course, darling. and i'm just picturing it," i replied with a laugh, "you and your puny little body carrying a big chubby baby. i want to see it!"