001 perfectly picturesque

CHAPTER ONE( perfectly picturesque )

CHAPTER ONE
( perfectly picturesque )

     NEVER HAD THERE BEEN A DAY BLUER THAN THIS ONE.

     I had opened my eyes this morning to instantly discover an electric sky blue had engulfed everything around me. It was fresh, and thrilling, and lively, and—

     "Magnolia? Are you listening?"

     My head jolts up from where my wandering eyes had strayed absentmindedly to the worn patterned rug resting beneath my feet.

     "What? Yeah, sorry." I apologize, eliciting a sweet smile from the woman sitting before me; resisting the urge to let my eyes flicker to the grand father clock ticking in the corner of the room I'd come to know so intimately over the last six months.

     "I was telling you that our time is officially up."

     This time, I don't resist.

     My eyes flash eagerly to the clock, a feeling of excitement bubbling in the pit of my belly, my leg beginning to bounce along with it.

     "You know," I looked back over the woman sitting across the desk from me, eyes kind and gentle. "Therapy isn't as bad as everyone claims it's gonna be. I was pleasantly surprised."

     She blinks, clearly taken aback by my words— the most positive ones she's likely ever heard from me. I'll admit that I tend to fall on the pessimistic side of things, so it was probably a refreshing way to end our very last session together.

     "That's good to hear. You should be proud of the progress you've made. I hope you have a fantastic summer."

     Ah, the fantastic summer— that is precisely why I'm in a rather good mood today.

     Today, I leave for Cousins, bound for the beach house I've only ever heard about in the dreamiest of conversations.

     I rise to leave, but I'm stopped one final time.

     "However..."

     I internally sigh at her words— there's always a however.

     "I can't in good conscience recommend you stop the group sessions and the private ones. While you have done excellent work here, I think there is still things to cover. I know you'll be out of town, but we can zoom you in every tues—"

     "Ms. Michelle." I politely, or at least what I hope is politely, interrupt with a small chuckle. "Thank you for everything, really. But... I'm good. I'm doing good.

     "I know you feel that way now, but spending an entire summer with Susannah might be more taxing than you realize."

     I scoff, furrowing my brows and extending my arms to the side. "Spending an entire summer with Susannah sounds like a dream come true! I can't wait!"