Chronicles Of Osas II

“I don't want to go home for the holidays".

I was taken aback and I exclaimed, WHY, I asked. The holidays are what we look forward to after a hectic school session. We look forward to going home, like leaving this place, meeting our families and friends. Besides the holidays is still a month away.
She looked at me and said nothing.

Osas you need to tell me something for me to know how to help you.

She smiled.

“Seriously, you are smiling". I asked in disbelief.

That's the problem she said. That's what y'all say. For people like me, going home for the holidays has always been a truck load of traumatic experience for me.

“I'm lost Osas", I responded with arms akimbo. “Can you go straight to the point", I asked further.

She gestured to me to come closer.
Fine, she answered. Anytime I go home for the holidays, my stepfather assaults and sexually harasses me at will.

I hope I didn't hear well. Excuse me ma'am, “What did you just say", I asked.

She repeated, Martha, my stepfather sexually harasses me.

Jesus Christ, I shouted drawing a momentary attention to myself ignoring the people around or other fellows passing by. The new information was a buzzkill to all my entirety. Anyone aside Osas who was with me and observant enough would notice that my pupils dilated for a second and the hairs on my arms and legs stood up. When I had semi digested the news, I was prompted to ask.

Osas, I remember you telling me you stay with your biological father, so who is this stepfather in question.

Martha, I lied. I lied to you ,Aaliyah and Anne. You trio are my best friends and I'm not supposed to do that and I'm legit sorry for that, she replied.

I looked at her pitifully and I knew this was not the time to address the issue of lying.

“It's alright", I replied. Is your mum aware of this issue, I asked.

I told my mum a whole lot of times, but the woman thinks I'm bluffing. Do you know how that makes me feel, it makes me feel helpless, useless and depressed. I am been assaulted and on top of that the only person I can confide in does not believe me. Let me indulge you more Martha. During the last holidays when I couldn't take it anymore, I resolved to bringing up the matter to her in the presence of my stepdad, she dismissed the matter and made her husband the victim. Now tell me, what was I supposed to do. I'm confused and I don't really know what to do.

“What about your biological dad", I asked.

She rolled her eyes in disbelief, my biological father is always up to no good. Why did you think my mother left him and ran into the arms of this pervert in the name of my stepdad. He was promising at first, but that was all a facade.

God this is creepy, I whispered to myself. I was hoping this was all acting, that she would tap me from behind, laugh out loud and say she was trying to pull my legs and see how I was going to react. Considering the whole situation, this was far from acting. I have heard of girls assaulted by their stepfather and even their biological father, but never have I imagined that it was going to happen to someone very dear to me.

“What are we going to do about this”, I asked.

I don't know Martha that's why I'm bothered.

Listen Osas, you are not at fault. You did the best thing to open up to me even when I don't have the slightest idea on how to go about it. I'm not going to judge you based on what I heard, I'm going to judge you based on my experience with you. And over time, you are one of the beautiful, intelligent, resilient girl I have met. You are a black girl for a reason and blacks don't crack no matter the situation.

She smiled, a smile of hope  and said, thank you Martha. Your words of encouragement made me feel better for the first time today.

“No problem", I chirped in.

The sound of the bell in the distance signalled it was time for dinner. Everyone walked down to the dining hall for food. During dinner, I came to a conclusion that it wasn't easy to be emotionally balanced. I wondered how Osas carried the weight in her heart and still try to be herself. I tried putting myself in place of Osas, but I dismissed the thought immediately. For the books, I'm an emotionally fragile person. Handle me with utmost care.