CHAPTER 2 (Chanyeol)

"Chanyeol!"
My eyes flash open. Someone is gripping my left arm too tightly. I blink a couple of times, my eyes adjusting to the darkness. I switch on the bedside lamp. It casts enough light for me to make out the details of the room.
I glance at Baekhyun. He faces away from me. He hasn't let go of my arm. "Baekhyun? Are you awake?"
"Yes." His voice is no louder than a whisper.
"Is there something wrong? Did you have a bad dream?" I ask, reaching out to touch his face.
"Chanyeol," he sobs, his hold on me tightens more.
I pull him into my arms. I feel him trembling. He cries softly against my neck.
"Hush now," I whisper. "It's just a bad dream. Do you want me to distract you?"
He shakes his head. I stroke his arm, waiting for him to calm down. I feel his breathing slow down as seconds pass by.
"I'm sorry," he tells me, touching my face. "I was just so scared...or maybe I was just overreacting."
"What are you apologizing for?" I ask, pressing my lips against his forehead.
"For waking you up just to see me crying over a stupid dream," he whispers.
"Baekhyun." I sigh. "It's alright. You don't need to apologize. It's not like you committed a crime just by waking me up."
"I feel like I disrupted your beauty sleep," he mumbles.
I chuckle, pinching his cheek. I turn serious. "Tell me about your dream."
"I don't want to talk about it," he admits. "Not tonight."
I am about to argue, but I stop myself. Having to know Baekhyun so well, he hates when people force him to do something. He's quite adamant. I always end up upsetting him whenever I try to. I quickly give up on the idea of persuading him to tell me about his dream, despite the urge to know.
"I understand. I won't bother you about it," I tell him, pouting.
"Chanyeol-ah," Baekhyun whispers, brushing my lips with his fingers. "Maybe I do need to be distracted."
I laugh quietly at his sudden change of mood. "Forget it. I feel sleepy now."
"Well I don't."
Securing my face with his hands, he pulls my lips to his. I surrender, smiling as I crush him to me.
****
"Let's celebrate Christmas here," Baekhyun tells me as I start the car.
The sun has yet to rise, but we need to get home soon or we'll be late for work.
"I’ve thought about that too," I say. I reverse the car and speed off, leaving the rest house behind.
"How's the proposal?" Baekhyun asks as we hit the freeway.
"I'm almost done actually," I answer, glancing at side mirror.
"That's good news," Baekhyun says. "I have no doubt you'll get the approval you need."
"I hope so."
We pass the narrow street where Baekhyun almost died two years ago. It's not like he's afraid of the street itself, but ever since the accident he avoids driving down that street. He told me he's afraid of reliving those painful memories. I am afraid too. It’s something we both want to bury in the past, to somehow forget. Every time we decide to visit the rest house, we take a different, safer route.
"Don't think about it," I tell Baekhyun, gripping the steering wheel tighter.
"What?" He turns to look at me.
"You're thinking about the accident again," I say, glancing at him briefly.
"It's not something I can control," he whispers. "It’s still a part of our past."
I can't argue with him. He's right. It's still, and will always be, a part of our past. A painful part.
"It's better not to think about it though," I continue. "It might destroy the mood."
Baekhyun laughs without humor. "I know, I know. Let's play some music then to lighten the mood."
Baekhyun sings along with the songs on my playlist the entire ride back home. I can still hear his angelic voice as I head to work.
****
The door to my office opens. I look up from the stack of papers I am holding to see Kris coming towards me. He smiles genuinely.
"Why are you here?" I ask, glancing back at my work.
"Oh c'mon couz," he chides. "Don't be so cold."
I sigh, giving him a look. He grins at me. "What is it? Make it fast. I'm busy."
"I brought lunch." He holds up a lunch box. "I know you haven't eaten yet, so why don't you join me?"
I stare at the lunch box, considering idea. I sigh again. I can't really turn down an offer like that. Besides, he took the trouble to come here just to eat lunch with me. I might as well let him.
"Fine," I say, straightening up.
"How's Baekhyun?" Kris asks as he prepares the food.
"He's doing well," I answer, taking a seat across him. "He got promoted a month ago."
"That's great."
We start eating in silence.
"I'll be out of town this coming month," Kris tells me as he reaches for a can of soda. "If you need something from me, you might as well say it now."
"Where are you going exactly?" I ask him instead.
"Colorado," he answers. "I'll be having an exhibit, the one I mentioned to you before."
"Ah. The El Dorado," I say, remembering. "Is Tao coming with you?"
"I don't think so. Anyway, I'll be staying there for a week or so," he continues. "Then I'll be flying to Arizona, London, Lyon, Marseille, Edinburgh, Barcelona, Almaty, Berlin and Yunnan after.
I raise an eyebrow at him. "Sounds like you're having a world tour."
"I am. Aren't you proud of me?" He raises his can of soda and grins at me.
"Aren't you giving me a new masterpiece?" I ask instead. "I should have one."
Kris gives me a look. "Do you realize how hard it is for me to create one? And you expect me to give it to you for free?"
I shrug at him. "Think of it as another gift. Besides, you're the one who refused to have me pay for the paintings you've given me and Baek."
"That's true." He raises his hands in defeat. "Since you're the cousin I love so much, I'll create a unique piece just for you and Baekhyun."
"And?" I prompt, smiling a little.
"I won't have you pay for it," he tells me, rolling his eyes.
I clap my hands. "Excellent!"
****
I step outside the bathroom, showered and dressed in pajamas that match Baekhyun's. He sits on the bed, staring at his phone.
"What are you doing?" I ask, moving to sit beside him.
"Updating my Instagram," he replies.
I rest my head on his shoulder, taking a look at his phone. I see a photo of us, the rest house in the background. Baekhyun's smile makes my heart skip a beat.
"I look like a potato next to you," he whispers.
"No, you don't," I disagree, wrapping an arm around his waist. "It's me who looks like a potato next to an angel like you."
He snorts. "Don't flatter me."
"I'm not," I say as I pull away from him. "I'm telling the truth."
Baekhyun chuckles, glancing at me. "Stop it. You're making me blush."
I grin and give him a peck on the lips. "Baekhyun-ah?"
"Mm?"
I take his hand and start playing with his fingers, debating whether to ask him or not. I draw in a breath.
"What do you think about us adopting a child?" I whisper, gazing down at our hands. I wait for him to speak.
"I've given it some thought actually," he admits.
"Really? Why didn't you tell me?" I look at him. He stares at me strangely for a moment. "What is it?"
Baekhyun sighs. "I just thought you wouldn't like the idea so I never mentioned it. Having a child means a lot of responsibility.”
He's right. Taking care of a child demands a great deal of effort and time. But having a child means a family. I know, without asking Baekhyun, that he wants a family. A family that he will take care of, protect, love. We already have each other to take care of, to protect, to love. But I believe a child will draw us closer together, even the child is not our own. Well, we just have to make the child our own.
"We can do it," I tell him, taking hold of both his hands. "I trust you."
Baekhyun smiles. "I'm not against the idea. But we both have jobs. How are we going to manage our time?"
"That's simple," I tell him. "We can hire a nanny that will take care of the child during the day and we can take turns during the night."
Baekhyun gazes straight into my eyes, like he's reading my mind. "Chanyeol, are you really sure about this?"
"I am," I say.
He flashes me his sweet smile and leans in to kiss me.
****
I am signing some papers when a knock on the office door disturbs me. I put down my pen, sighing. I'm getting a lot of visitors these days.
"Please come in," I call out.
Kyungsoo appears with a smile on his face.
"Oh, Kyungsoo," I greet. "What brings you here?"
"I went to see Baekhyun today, but he's in a meeting. Since you're just four blocks away, I thought I might as well visit you," he tells me.
"How thoughtful of you." I smile. "How's Kai?"
"He has some business to attend to in Japan. I'm left alone for a couple of days with his babies. Monggu won't stop whining." He pouts.
"Why don't you invite Xiumin and Chen over?" I suggest, picking up my pen. "They're both on a short leave."
Kyungsoo considers this. "I think that's a great idea."
"They're probably rotting in their nest, unable to decide what to do, probably because they're always arguing," I tell him, grinning.
Kyungsoo laughs. "You're mean."
****
I arrive at home feeling tired and sleepy. Baekhyun opens the door for me. My heart does a somersault the moment I see him.
"Welcome home," he tells me, smiling.
I wrap my arms around him, lean in and give him a kiss. He bites my lower lip playfully. I pull away.
"What's that for?" I ask, reaching up to tickle his neck.
Baekhyun yelps, slapping my hand away. I laugh, trying to catch him as he runs to the kitchen. Somehow he manages to pin both my hands on my side.
"Stop it. I'm warning you," he threatens, narrowing his eyes at me.
I chuckle. "Okay, okay."
He lets go of me. "Why don't you take a shower first before we have our dinner?"
"Good idea," I say, grabbing his lovely face and pulling his lips to mine again.
Fifteen minutes later, I pad downstairs in pajamas. I find Baekhyun standing before the sink, washing kitchen tools.
"Baekhyun-ah?" I lean against the counter, crossing my arms in front of me.
"Yes?" he answers without glancing.
"French investors of the enterprise are coming the day after tomorrow," I tell him. "Coincidentally, the Quantum of the Seas is having an exclusive tour around South Korea on the said date. Our CEO has decided to have the meeting with the investors on the cruise ship."
I turn to look at Baekhyun. "As a department head, I can't fail to attend the meeting. Our CEO has invited me personally."
Baekhyun stares at the sink, unmoving. I frown. "Baekhyun? What's the matter?"
"Cruise...ship?" His voice is no louder than an octave. "A cruise ship?"

End of Chapter 2