The Pursuit

"Someone has stolen Pegasus," said Sophie pointing towards the sky.

"We have no time to lose," said Mr Mervin, handing the things they had got from the shops to Sophie.

Sophie quickly put on the cloak and hung the satchel on her shoulders. Mr Mervin pulled out his book and placed it on the floor. Then he stretched his hands and the book opened up and grew and grew to a large size.

"Climb on to the pages," said Mr Mervin, as he himself climbed onto the pages of the book.

Sophie climbed on to the pages of the book. The book rose and levitated in the air and shot into the sky. Sophie nearly screamed in surprise.

The book soared higher and higher. Pegasus was flying, beating his wings fast. But the book caught on. Sophie strained her eyes trying to see who was on the back of Pegasus.

The book was flying parallel to Pegasus so that Sophie could see who was on the back of Pegasus. It looked like a brownie.

"Is that a brownie on Pegasus's back?" asked Sophie, looking at Mr Mervin. Mr Mervin stretched his hands over the book and pulled out something from the pages.

It was a lasso. He twirled the rope around and threw it out towards the brownie. The hoop of the lasso fell on him and Mr Mervin pulled the rope and the brownie fell onto the pages of the flying book.

"What are you doing on the back of our steed?" asked Mr Mervin, looking down at the brownie.

The brownie looked up and said, "please, sir, I didn't steal the unicorn for myself."

"Then who sent you?" asked Mr Mervin, holding onto the end of the lasso.

"If you please sir, the Wicked Wizard sent me, he said to steal your ride to sabotage you."

"But why would you help him?" asked Mr Mervin, as Pegasus plunged down. The flying book followed.

"Because he told me that if I refused to cooperate, he would bind the souls of me and my family."

"Sophie, you go get Pegasus, I will deal with our little thief here," said Mr Mervin.

Sophie got off the book once it had landed and went up to Pegasus and stoked him gently. He nuzzled her hand, as if glad to be back with her again.

"So tell me, how did you find us?" said Mr Mervin, holding the brownie and stretching his hand towards the book. There was a flash and the book shrunk back to its usual size and leapt into Mr Mervin's pocket.

"Now tell us, what is your Wizard up to?" asked Mr Mervin, looking at the brownie. "To start out, what is your name?"

"I am Merry, sir, Merry Wig," said the brownie bowing. "The wizard is planning on binding any magical being that he comes across."

"How is he planning to do that?" said Mr Mervin, walking up to Pegasus with the brownie walking behind him with the hoop of lasso wrapped tightly around his waist.

"He is planning on creating a book to contain all the magical creatures. I know nothing of how he is going about this plan," Merry went on looking down at his shoes.

"Well, I am sorry to have you tied up but you will have to earn my trust if you want to be set free," said Mr Mervin looking at the brownie.

"I'd rather work for you than the Wicked Wizard, sir," said Merry bowing.

"Well, thank you," said Mr Mervin, smiling. "Now we are about to set off the find the Reversing Rune."

"The Reversing Rune?" asked Merry, and added quickly, "Are you trying to unbind someone that had been soul bound?"