Whispers of the Sleeping Town

The coastal town of Avalon was a place of dualities. In the vibrant summer months, its shores became a haven for sun-kissed tourists seeking respite from the hustle and bustle of city life. Laughter echoed through the streets as children built sandcastles, and the scent of salt mingled with the mouthwatering aroma of seafood being prepared in the local eateries. Colourful beach umbrellas dotted the sandy expanse, and the waves danced in tune with the joyous energy that permeated the air.

But as the sun descended below the horizon, casting long shadows across the tranquil sea, Avalon underwent a transformation. The once-bustling streets grew quieter, the laughter faded, and the town seemed to retreat into a slumber of its own. The cooler months brought an eerie stillness that was both enchanting and unsettling, like the calm before a storm.

As the town settled into this peaceful darkness, a heavy sense of unease hung over the community, exacerbated by the recent disappearance of a local teenager named Jackson Griffiths. Jackson had been a familiar face, his infectious smile and adventurous spirit a part of the tapestry that defined Avalon. He was the kind of boy who thrived on the thrill of exploring the hidden coves and climbing the rocky cliffs that guarded the shore.

Now, with Jackson missing, a shroud of uncertainty blanketed the town. Whispers of his disappearance rustled through the few remaining leaves on the trees, and they exchanged worried glances between neighbours. The local news had been abuzz with the story, recounting the last known details of Jackson's whereabouts: a deserted stretch of beach, his abandoned cellphone lying beside the foamy edge of the tide.

The news had taken its toll on the tight-knit group of friends who had grown up together in Avalon. Katherine, Ezra, Blair, Jace, Henry, and Theo had formed a bond as unbreakable as the waves crashing against the cliffs. Their lives had revolved around shared secrets, laughter-filled nights, and daring escapades along the rugged shoreline. But now, a missing piece haunted their circle, leaving them all feeling vulnerable in its absence.

The group gathered on the rooftop of an old beach house that had been their secret meeting spot for years. With the distant sound of waves whispering in the background and the scent of salt in the air, they exchanged sombre glances as they clutched their jackets tightly against the evening chill.

Together, they were a microcosm of the town itself—nostalgic, worried, and eager to uncover the truth that lay beneath the waves of uncertainty. With the moonlight casting a silver glow over their faces, the friends exchanged a silent vow: they would unravel the mystery of Jackson's disappearance, no matter how deep the waters ran or how treacherous the currents became. In the heart of Avalon's sleeping darkness, a new chapter was about to unfold—one that would test their bonds, challenge their perceptions and lead them down a path they never could have imagined.