Chapter 47

Before anyone comments about my time jumps and probably not great writing, this is my first time writing something like this and the time jumps were necessary to get this done for one of my Literature assessments. I may fill in the time jumps at a later date and let people know what happened during them, but that's unlikely as in my mind it was just tedious stuff similar to what happened with Offred.

I hope you enjoy and I welcome feedback (seen as my teacher just gave me a mark.... :/)

I stood there silently, watching the black van drive away, the woman I cared for confused inside. I knew she'd be safe, Coulson had promised the full "Welcoming Wagon" would be there to greet her. They'd explain everything, I hoped, including me. Then when my extraction time comes, we could start fresh; maybe I'd learn her name. It would be a long wait, so she'll go to the back of my mind until then, the mission was my priority. Rescuing the people I could.

*****

Finally I'd received a new placement. After Offred had been taken, the real Eyes had come for the Commander, believing him to be an enemy of state, for who else had the power to make her disappear like that? Serena Joy became an unwoman without the protection of Fred as her husband and was sent to the colonies. Rita, Cora and I were let off with cautions; we knew they'd be watching us closely from now on. Rita and I would need to be especially careful from now on, to avoid detection as being part of Mayday. I don't know where she went next. I followed Cora. She was my next mission. It would take a few months, but I knew I would succeed.

*****

This is my last placement; I've helped extract 19 people from Gilead so far. To be safe we're only permitted 20 rescues each. I heard from Coulson that Offred has been documenting her story. I hope this helps her to move past this episode in her life. I'll be with her soon enough out find out how she is for myself.

I've been placed with Commander Tom. This household has no Handmaid for a child of the time before has been given to them. My mission is to rescue the Martha known as Ruth. She is kind and easy to talk to. I've been able to get close, and she trusts me.

"Ruth, what is her name?" I finally ask. The child has become a curiosity of mine. To be this accepting of society, she must have been young when Gilead began. I wonder who she belonged to, there is something familiar about her, I just can't place it.

"Emma. Why do you ask Nick?" Ruth has been asking much of me lately, noticing my curiosity.

"I don't know much about her. The Commander rarely speaks to me, only giving instructions about where I need to drive him. I don't think he knows much about her."

We are silent for a moment; she continues to prepare the vegetables for dinner.

"Okay, well what else do you wish to know? I'm sure Emma would be happy to tell you anything."

I stood confused for a second, then turned after seeing Ruth's pointed glance over my shoulder. There she stood, with a look on her face so familiar, yet I still couldn't place it. I'd never actually spoken to Emma, I believed her to be a child who only knew of the Gileadian regime.

"What do you wish to know Nick? I'd be happy to answer." She said with a smile on her face now. She walked towards to table Ruth was working at and sat down, taking a few carrot sticks from the bowl Ruth had placed them in. I knew then that she was at least a little rebellious, to disregard to food rules so casually.