Assessments and Punishments

In addition to last year's changes, marked ones assembling in groups of three or more will now be considered an act of seditious conspiracy and is hereby a capital offense.
- Addendum 5.3
Basgiath War College Code of Conduct

"I know you have been training for the Riders Quadrant your whole life, so you have got to tell me, how the hell did you know all the answers in history? I wasn't surprised when Violet did, she was raised to be a scribe, but you even knew the perfect questions to ask in Battle Brief." Liam looks at me in shock. Rhiannon looks just as intrigued for my answer.

I look at them like they are crazy, "Just because I was forced into the Riders Quadrant doesn't mean training for it was the only thing I did. Violet and her dad were my safety net from the rest of the world. You think if my best friend was studying to be a scribe that some of her mannerisms wouldn't rub off on me?" I laugh lightly, the vest Mira made me shimmering with the movement. Making eye contact with Violet, sharing a smile before we both look back at the match happening on the sparring mat in front of us.

Liam's match had already happened, and he took his opponent down so fast and easily, it looked like a child fighting an adult. Now Ridoc, from Violet's squad is fighting Nadine, from my squad. They are circling each other in their fighting leathers, evenly matched in size. The rest of us first-years are on one side, but the second- and third-years line the opposite. They're definitely at an advantage here, considering they've already had at least a year of combat training here.

The guys are mostly shirtless because they think shirts give their opponent something to grab onto. Personally, I'm not complaining with their logic, just enjoying the view... respectfully, of course, which means keeping my eyes on Violet and my squad's mat and off the twenty other mats in the massive gym that consumes the first floor of the academic wing. One wall made entirely of windows and doors, all left open to let in the breeze, but it's still stiflingly hot. Sweat trickles down my spine under my vest.

There are three squads from each wing here this afternoon, and lucky me, First Wing has sent their third squads, which includes Jack Barlowe, who's been glaring at me from two mats over since I walked in.

"Guess that means neither of you are worried about academics," Rhiannon says, her brows rising at us. She chose a leather vest, too, but hers cuts in above the collarbone and secures at her neck, leaving her shoulders exposed for movement.

"Stop circling each other like you're dance partners and attack!" Professor Emetterio orders from across the mat, where Dain watches Ridoc and Nadine's match with Violets squad executive leader, Cianna. Thank God Dain's shirt is on, because Violet doesn't need another distraction when it's time for her turn.

"I'm worried about this," Violet tells Rhiannon, tilting her chin at the mat.

"Really?" She shoots Vi a skeptical look. Her braids are twisted into a small bun at the nap of her neck. "I figured a Sorrengail, you'd be a hand-to-hand threat."

"Not exactly. Aelin has been training in hand-to-hand for the last fifteen years. Me? About six months under my belt, but here we are." Violet throws out there softly.

"Doesn't that mean you started training when you were five?" Liam overhears.

I just nod, continuing to watch the match in front of us.

Ridoc launches toward Nadine, but she ducks, sweeping out her leg and tripping him. He staggers but doesn't go down, pivoting quickly, palming a dagger in his hand.

"No blades today!" Professor Emetterio bellows from beside the mat. "We're just assessing!"

Ridoc grumbles and sheaths his knife just in time to deflect a right hook from Nadine.