Chapter 1: The Last of the Bunch

The City of New York was being slowly repopulated, and rebuild. On the Brooklyn Bridge, the military was lifting up the massive carcass of a mutated animal.

Physically, the creature resembles modern depictions of theropod dinosaurs, specifically dromeosaurids, with some inspiration from iguanas and crocodilians. He has a rough, square-shaped underbite and a pronounced chin, a long and thick neck with a small, spiky dewlap, large, fin-shaped scutes instead of the character's traditional maple leaf-shaped dorsal plates, and long, powerful legs and arms. His mouth is lipless with numerous small, pyramid-shaped teeth that are always visible, even when his mouth is closed, and stick out over both his upper and lower jaws, much like a crocodile. His eyes are fiery-looking, with bright yellow pupils and orange sclera. Each of his 13.7-meter-long feet possess three large, dinosaur-like primary digits on the front and a much smaller, seemingly vestigial, hallux on the back.

This is Godzilla, a massive animal that invaded New York to reproduce.

And one man, looked at the scene, and was probably the only one who felt sympathy for the beast.

His name is Dr. Nico 'Nick' Tatopoulos, major researcher in nuclear mutated animals, mainly earth worms. Nick Tatopoulos has a light beard, dark, straight hair and is dressed relatively casual. He is a small, slender man, and he is often seen with a headgear.

This whole mess started in the Pacific Ocean, when the Japanese fishing vessel Kobayashi-Maru was sunk at sea by a gigantic creature, leaving only a single survivor. The creature dredged the shipwreck ashore in Panama, leaving behind a trail of footprints across the island. Believing the monster was the result of a secret nuclear test their country had conducted in French Polynesia 30 years ago, the French government authorized a team of secret servicemen led by a man named Phillipe Roaché to investigate. Posing as an insurance agent, Philippe investigated the shipwreck, which had its entire payload of tuna removed, and interviewed the only survivor of the incident. The survivor had been exposed to a great deal of radiation during the attack and claimed he saw Gojira, a giant sea monster from Japanese legend. 

In the meantime, the American Military deployed forces to Panama to further investigate the incident, and established a scientific team composed of Nick, Elsie Chapman, and Mendel Craven to determine what caused it. Elsie proposed the shipwreck and footprints were left behind by some kind of huge lost dinosaur, but Nick believed otherwise. He hypothesized that the animal was a brand new hybrid spawned from exposure to nuclear radiation, a new mutant species created as a side effect of human activity.

Sometime later, the creature traveled up the Eastern Seaboard of the United States, causing multiple shipwrecks as it approached New York. Finally, the creature, a huge reptilian creature standing approximately 180 feet in height, came ashore in Manhattan, tearing apart the docks and wandering through the city, causing extensive damage before vanishing into the urban jungle. Taken completely by surprise by the attack, the military scrambled to evacuate the city and prepare countermeasures against the monster. Nick determined that the monster was piscivorous, and proposed a plan to lure it into Flatiron Square with 20,000 pounds of fish. The plan was set into motion, with a mound of fish being dumped into the street and military forces being stationed around the area. After manhole covers in the area were opened, the creature broke through the street and began eating the fish. Nick took photographs of the beast before the military opened fire on it. The monster fled from the military's attack, and began picking off the AH-64 Apache choppers deployed after him one-by-one. In the end, the monster evaded the assault, with the military inflicting more damage on the city than he did. 

Nick was able to recover a blood sample from the creature left behind by the attack, and after close analysis discovered that the creature was capable of asexual reproduction and about to lay eggs. Nick's former college sweetheart, Audrey Timmonds, reunited with him and stole some of his classified videotapes about the monster, intending to use them to advance her aspirations as a news reporter. Audrey's boss, Charles Caiman, stole the story and reported it on live television, giving the monster the name "Godzilla" after mispronouncing Gojira. When the military found out, they promptly kicked Nick off the task force dealing with the monster. Nick was subsequently kidnapped by Philippe and his men, who wanted to work with Nick to find Godzilla's nest under the city before his young could hatch.