Chapter 3; Lily - Wealth

The next evening arrived quickly. When the setting sun reached the horizon I was already wearing my midnight blue gown. My long, slightly curly, golden brown hair was decorated with a pearls, while my moss green eyes were full of joy. When we arrived to the garden of Buckingham Palace my beauty was praised not only by my father, but also by Queen Victoria. I really enjoyed her company, she was always so kind to me. However, the young ladies were so boring.

"These cosmetics are extremely expensive, because they came straight from Paris. Gifts from my suitor..." Theresa boasted. Besides me, three young ladies were listening to her bragging, and it seemed that all of them were envious of her. And for what reason? For some poisonous rubbish. I almost got lost in my thoughts as I was listening to their boring conversation, but Helena didn't let me.

"Do not take offense, Adaline, but I think that you also need some qualitative powder. The shade of your skin is not pale enough. Not to mention your eyes..."

"Excuse me, but what is wrong with my eyes?"

"Nothing!" Helena said in a hurry, as soon as she sensed in my voice that I took her words as an insult. "But without makeup your face is so featureless. Perhaps, someone would court you too if you were more attractive." she added without looking into my eyes. Helena had no idea how many suitors I had rejected in my life. And, as for the cosmetics in question, I avoided them for a very good reason.

"I will not poison my skin with arsenic and lead for the sake of any man." I answered. This time, my words were laced with disgust.

"Arsenic? What is that?" needless to say, these fools had no idea how poisonous those cosmetics are. Their used them every single day, ruining their skin and their health. Helena and Theresa were staring at me as if I were a fool, while the two youngest members of our company, Emma and Leticia joined to the the increasingly awkward conversation with stifled laughter. It was so annoying and even more embarrassing that these whores and other ladies like them always looked at me with pity, looking for faults in me, so instead of explanation I remained silent. I glanced at the table full of various biscuits and cakes. I was about to reach for a piece of lemon cake, but Helena opened her mouth again. "Adaline! Don't use your left hand, it is not appropriate!" at that moment I have had enough of their company.

"Dio santo! (Holy God!)" I grumbled, but of course they didn't understand my words. They were very good at bragging and mocking, but they had no idea how to speak in Italian, not even manage to say a 'Thank you!'. Minutes later I was already walking in a quieter area of the garden. I wanted to calm my thoughts before returning to the guests. As soon as I heard the pleasant sound of the violin in the distance again I stopped and looked up at the night sky. I was staring at the constellation of Orion, while the gentle breeze brought me the honeyed scent of the lilies.

"I don't know why you accepted the Queen's invitation, but I assume that the reason was not the expensive French champagne." I heard a pleasantly deep voice, coming from behind me. As I turned around, I saw a young man, standing only a few steps away from me. Although, only the golden string lights were shining near us, but I saw every tiny feature of his face. His messy chocolate brown hair and his stubble made him so attractive, but his golden eyes especially enchanted me. And I noticed two old scars on his face, one over his right eyebrow, and another on the left side of his jaw. I took a long look at the handsome man who I had never seen before, enjoying the chirping of the crickets, but later I broke the silence.

"The French champagne is excellent, but the people that thirsts for it is not really." I admitted, even though it was not appropriate to say so.

"I agree!"