Chapter 1: The Fuckening

Genya wakes up to a room that can be barely seen, illuminated by what could be considered as light - a hue of a dull, dark blue, coming from the window - and the sound of soft snoring to his left side. As much as he doesn’t want to get up, the line to the bathroom would only get longer the more he lies down. He glances at the window to his right; there is barely a sun, not even the rooster nor birds singing can be heard through the glass; he can almost picture his big brother, Sanemi, glaring at him through the window the more he spends time laying down on the bed. With a sigh, he rises from the covers and carefully tiptoes through the two bodies of his siblings to get to the door, and with a twist of his wrist on the knob, he quietly exits the room.

After he closes the door, he turns left going towards the bathroom. He wants to start the day fresh, so he washes his face in the sink and looks at himself in the mirror. He pats his face a bit, and smiles a little. Today after school, they were planning to eat out simply for good vibes, but mainly because he won yesterday’s Sharp Shooting Competition. He dries his face and goes on to do his daily routine: help lessen mom’s chores, then wash up, get dressed for school, and help his siblings prepare for middle school once they are awake. The life of the second eldest, he guesses, but he’s happy with it.

He exits the bathroom, he can hear the soft sound of sizzling coming from the kitchen; his mother always wakes up before all of them, he noted, it makes him wonder how she can keep up taking care of them, but he knows he wouldn’t be able to understand. Nonetheless, he is grateful to be her son. He walks back to his shared room to wake up his siblings; one by one, he does so with a quick call of their name and a tap to their shoulder. If it didn’t work, he’d rock them back and forth until they wake up. He leads the younger ones to the bathroom, preparing their bath for them and placing their towels on a rack before he leaves to let them have their privacy.

As he walks in the narrow hallway, he passes by his parents’ room, the door is slightly ajar. He catches a glimpse of his father’s sleeping figure, deep in the dream world. He understands that his father works to provide for the big family, but he couldn’t help but wish he was more present in their lives as their father. Genya sighs, he shakes his head. ‘Silly thoughts’ he thinks. He continues to walk towards the kitchen, the smell of omelette and fish enter his nostrils. His stomach rumbles. ‘Smells so good.’ he thinks to himself as he sniffs a few more times

He finally enters the kitchen and he sees that his mom, Shizu, is almost done with cooking their breakfast and lunch. She turns around and smiles as she sees her second eldest son.

“Good morning, Gen. Did you sleep well?” She asks.

“Mornin’ mom, I slept fine. Sumi, Teiko and Shuya are in the bath now. Do you need help with anything?” He stands beside her as she removes the fish from the pan to a plate.

“I’m almost done with cooking so I think I just need help with setting the table. Can you do it for me?”

“No problem.” He turns to grab eight plates, eight pairs of chopsticks, and eight glasses. Kyogo doesn't wake up until later in the morning when Genya leaves with Sanemi to go to school. Kyogo usually is the one taking the other kids to middle school as the place he works at is on the way, but he still readies Kyogo’s spot on the table. Who knows, maybe Kyogo would wake up early one day and might join them for brea-

“Mornin.” Speaking of the devil, He actually woke up early.

Both Genya and Shizu whip their heads towards the spot Kyogo is standing on.