06 | 𝐑𝐀𝐌𝐄𝐍 & 𝐒𝐎𝐉𝐔

RAMEN & SOJU

You struggle to wake up the next morning. The night had been a prolonged study session, committing to medical terminology and the normal ranges for the different vital signs. You distinguished the ranges applicable to various age groups, an effort that leaves you torn on whether to be proud or concerned with your discipline to study.

Anticipating another coincidental encounter with Kuroo as you step out of your apartment for the day, you're met with a quiet hallway. This silence, it seems, persists for an entire week.

Kuroo is nowhere to be seen. Not on campus, not at Yasuragi Café, absolutely nowhere.

Your senses sharpen at night, attuned to any sounds through the thin wall that separates you from him. You need an auditory confirmation of his presence, a reassurance of his well-being. But there's only silence, and every night for a week, the silence drills into your consciousness.

Juggling your academic pursuits becomes a challenge. Each lecture, each study session carries a tinge of emptiness without the brief pre-class interaction with Kuroo. Lucky for you, Mari's company gives you a break from the occasional loneliness.

And whenever you had the chance, you would unlock your phone and scroll through Kuroo's Instagram feed with a hope that each refresh would present a new post. But his digital presence remains static.

Now, you lay in your bed, doing the same thing you've been doing the past week — close your eyes, listen for noise through the stubborn wall, and after an hour or two, give up and fall asleep.

Using Kuroo's personal number is always an option. He extended the invitation for you to use it, but the weight of anxiety restrains you. You don't want to be an inconvenience to him, especially if his silence is due to his commitment to his own studies.

During moments like these, a nagging thought creeps in — the possibility that he's using this time to entertain another girl, just as he did that other night. The doubt lingers: perhaps he's lost interest in you, his attention diverted to someone new.

You wish that it isn't true. You fear the possibility that Kuroo could be like every other guy you've encountered, thoughtless about the emotions of the girls around him.

These instances of boredom are nothing unfamiliar. You've encountered them during your time with Ronan, moments where new and exciting experiences are far from reach, let alone pleasure.

Young and curious then, and still now, you treated yourself to an unanticipated indulgence a couple of months ago. A possession so discreet that no one in your small circle would ever suspect you of owning.

You didn't know if you wanted a toy that thrusted or vibrated or suctioned. Lucky for you, you were able to find one that did two of the three, all for a good price.

Initially, you'd vowed only to use it whenever Ronan failed to return the pleasure. Now, you grab the toy from beneath your pillow and sneak it under the covers, its original purpose completely dismissed and replaced by a new one.

Recollections of Ronan during moments of self-pleasure rarely yielded the satisfaction you craved. This time, however, your thoughts focus on someone else.

You can't deny the guilt that snakes its way through your consciousness — the sensation of thinking about Kuroo in this context. True, you miss him and the brief encounters you shared. Yet, emotions have spiralled beyond your initial expectations.