Prologue

Prologue

Friday night. That's where it all happened.

There was going to be a bonfire after the football game. Most people just went to drink, hook-up, have sex, the usual really. I wasn't interested in any of that, but I tagged along just to spend time with my friends.

That's the night it happened.

The night where I succumbed into nothingness. The night where all light and smiles left my body, for the darkness that awaited me.

It was the night I died.

Jake Carson wasn't there with me. If he was there, I would have been saved by him, just like it had always been. He was grounded that night; that night was the only night he had ever been grounded. I sometimes wonder if this was my destiny...whether the unforgivable torture and heartwrenching pain that awaited me that night was destined to happen to me, no matter what.

I was there with Charlotte, my best friend since third grade. When we arrived at the bonfire, it didn't take long for her to escape with her new boyfriend, leaving me all alone. I felt comfortable though, just sitting there with the people I knew for a good ten years or so. That's what I liked about our school....or so I thought.

I was minding my own business, trying to keep myself warm from the icy temperature, when Connor Matthews decided to sit next to me. I started to hyperventilate immediately. I mean, come on. Connor was the schools hero, the captain of the football team, the one guy who was loved by everyone, no matter what. He also had short hair, an almost black colour, with light green eyes, with hints of blue in them.

Actually, to be honest with you, I had a crush on him. Since forever. The way he walked through the hallways as if he dominated the place asked, not only mine, but for every girl's attention. I never had the guts to talk to him, I've always been shy. But now, he was sitting next to me on that dreadful, dreadful night. It was pretty difficult to believe, I mean, these kind of things never happened to Laura Marano.

"Hey, Laura, how you doing?" He asked me, his eyes watching my every move. I couldn't look at him; I don't know why, I felt so little next to him, as if I was a worthless piece of rubbish. Well, I couldn't even form my sentences properly.

"Okay," I managed to say quietly, looking down on my lap. Nervousness ran through my blood and my stomach did a somersault as I looked up to him.
"You were at my game tonight, right?" He asked me, gently brushing his shoulder with mine. With such a close proximity, I felt the heat around us, causing me to blush.

I remembered when Connor at the game, when he threw the ball to Jackson, who was crowded by defenders. Adrenaline rushed through my veins as I watched Jackson and two other teammates jump and catch the ball at the same time. At the end, Jackson had gotten the ball, just because Connor had thrown it to him at the right time. It was pretty amazing, but for Connor, it was normal.

"You were amazing," I replied back to him, trying to get rid of the heat that suddenly appeared on my cheeks. There was a gush of wind, and there were a few hailstones that fell from the sky. The sharp droplets hit my ears, causing a deep shiver to run through my body.

"Are you cold?" He asked me, moving even closer to me. The way he looked at me, made elephants somersault in my stomach a million times. I was well known in school, but just wasn't the popular ones you would expect Connor Matthews to spend their time with.

"Only a bit. I didn't realise it there were going to be hailstones today," I replied, as more hailstones made contact with my cheeks.