v ─ secret?

chapter five ─ secret?

"I don't get why he thought he had to come to Rowden this weekend," Blyke grumbled as he unpacked his things

"I don't get why he thought he had to come to Rowden this weekend," Blyke grumbled as he unpacked his things. "Couldn't even wait till after the Safe House trip."

Isen was sitting down on the floor next to Blyke. He wasn't really listening– partly because Blyke had been complaining non-stop for at least the past five minutes. Isen simply replied with "mhm's" and "yeah's" during pauses. He was sort of... distracted. By Blyke, that is.

"I don't understand how Remi's so okay with it–"

Isen grabbed Blyke's hand, interrupting his complaints. He used his other hand to prop up the redhead's chin. "If I kiss you," he whispered. "Will you stop raging over John?"

Blyke's face was nearly as red as his hair. "...I guess," he murmured.

Isen pressed his lips against Blyke. He pulled away quickly after, but Blyke wasn't having that. He seized the collar of Isen's dumb blue sweater and kissed him. Isen could hear Blyke's breathing. He could hear his heart beating. He felt his lips on his own and they tasted like cherries and he had no idea why. He could feel Blyke's warm, soft skin and his pretty red hair tickling his forehead–

"Where are the towels... Oh."

Fuck. Hanky-panky preventer.

Or Arlo. Whatever you want to call him.

Isen promptly pulled away from Blyke and scooted a couple of inches away on the floor. He mustered the confidence to speak. "They're, um– the cabinet. I'm pretty sure."

Arlo nodded and slowly walked back into the bathroom. He shut the door, and Isen was pretty sure he made a point to loudly lock it. Isen didn't say a word until he could hear the shower spraying.

"Maybe we shouldn't make out in plain sight," he mumbled.

"You started it," Blyke pointed out. "And besides, it's Arlo. He's not going to gossip about us." Part of what Blyke said felt like a slight jab at Isen.

Isen nodded, but didn't elaborate whatsoever.

"Would it matter?"

Isen turned to look at Blyke. "What?"

"If people knew."

He was quiet for a minute. "I don't know."

Blyke had his irritated expression on. The one he had when he was pretending not to be irritated.

Sometimes Isen hated being able to read people.

"I'd rather... keep it a secret," he added, bracing himself for Blyke's response.

"Okay," he started. "Why?"

"I'm not..." Isen took a deep breath.

He wasn't ready to come out yet.