11.4🥀

She tensed, when she realised that he'd left her alone with his intimidating family and braced herself for whatever would come next. She was under no illusions that they liked her or accepted her, knowing that they would all pretend to get along just find for Jeon's sake... but that what went on behind his back would be another story entirely.

"I owe you an apology," Jeon's mother finally shocked her by saying and she dared a glance into the elegant older woman's face. The woman no longer looked intimidating, in fact her face had softened completely and Hobie blinked up at her in surprise. "I was less than.... gracious, when you called to speak with my husband. After the funeral, Jeon told us the truth about your marriage, about the way both he and your father had treated you, so I now know that you would have been completely justified in not wanting to speak with my husband. But you showed a greater depth of character than the rest of us combined when you agreed to meet him... you made a dying man very happy in his last few hours. He was so worried about Jeon and what he'd sacrificed for our family but talking to you eased his mind considerably and he was at peace when he passed away that night. I have you to thank for that."

"I was happy to meet him," Hobie responded, a little blown away by this turn of events.

"Well, this is nearly two years too late but I am very happy to meet you too, Hobie," her mother-in-law engulfed her in a totally unexpected and very awkward hug. Hobie returned it in bemusement before both women stepped back a few seconds later, looking equally flustered. Somi and Hawasa were both grinning. Somi introduced Hobie to Hawasa, explaining that the other woman spoke little korean.

"But she wanted to meet you," Somi confided cheerfully. Hobie could see that she and Somi were going to get along just fine. The other woman was an irreverent bundle of laughs and they were both giggling conspiratorially over the way Jeon had practically jumped earlier to do his mother's bidding, when he finally returned carrying Lily. The baby was awake and wailing, not happy with the crowd of unfamiliar people surrounding her. Her little face was wet and scrunched up but her aunties and grandmother immediately started fussing all over her.

Jeon handed her over to his mother for a moment before turning to Hobie.

"You okay?" He asked in a low voice that only she could hear. She nodded, smiling reassuringly up at him.

"I'm sorry, I didn't expect them to show up so soon, I hope they haven't spoiled the party for you? I wanted this night to be perfect."

"And it has been pretty near perfect so far," she assured him. "They've been lovely, Jeon. All of them."

"Good, because I would have bounced them the hell back to Japan if they'd said anything at all to upset you" he told her firmly.

"Don't be silly. They're your family..."

"Wife trumps all," he retorted and she rolled her eyes.

"I'm going to rescue Lily from the Kissing Brigade over there. She's probably hungry," she went over to do just that, practically floating on air as she felt Jeon's gaze still on her. Wife trumps all? She very definitely liked the sound of that.

In the end, Hobie got her dream birthday party, complete with singing, a huge cake and dozens of floating balloons. The evening couldn't have been more perfect. After making sure his family was loaded into a taxi that would take them to their hotel, he called their driver to come and pick them up. Lily had been put to bed in a quiet room equipped with a professional nanny that the staff had provided for her and Chaebin. She stirred restlessly when her parents collected her and they both tensed, knowing that was close to her regular feeding time.

"I'm knackered," Hobie yawned once they were all snugly ensconced in the back seat of the car. He had his arm draped around her slender shoulders and she had her head tucked against his chest. Lily was contentedly suckling at her breast and both of them were in danger of falling asleep on Jeon.

"I had a wonderful evening Jeon," she muttered sleepily.

"I'm happy to hear it, hobie," he whispered into her hair.

"All those balloons," her voice faded and the last thing she heard before dozing off was the sound of his indulgent chuckling.