twenty-eight

"if you turn around, you'll see hyeyeong waving me over

"if you turn around, you'll see hyeyeong waving me over." jiae stated as she approached the reception desk. "do you ever get a day off?"

minsu looked unamused. "i do. you just happen to come on all the days i'm here."

"don't worry. i'll be sure you learn your schedule and only visit on the days you're here."

the receptionist narrowed his eyes and raised a brow. "you mean the days i'm not here."

"nope! now if you'll excuse me..." she slowly made her way past the desk and to where hyeyeong was waiting for her.

jiae dropped into the open seat across from her friend with a dramatic sigh. "man, receptionists these days." she said, despite being a receptionist herself.

hyeyeong slid the coffee she made for jiae toward her and propped her folded hands on the table. "what's up? something good or bad?"

"good... i think?" jiae said before taking a sip of the drink and smiling at the sweet taste. "you know me so well." hyeyeong gave her a look, gesturing for her to continue.

sucking in a slow breath, jiae exhaled the words, "haechan and i met up."

if hyeyeong had been drinking something, jiae was ninety percent sure she would have done a spit take. "you did? already?" she kept her voice low, leaning closer as if they were sharing secrets.

"yeah," jiae couldn't hide her growing smile as she thought back to the night before. sure, it wasn't perfect, but she'd been so comfortable. so happy.

hyeyeong shook her head, wanting more information. "well... what happened? how was it?"

jiae's smile dwindled for a second as she shrugged, but it didn't stay gone for long. "a little awkward at first, i won't lie. but... i don't know. it was like hanging out with friends."

it was quiet for a moment as the older thought about how to reply. she was really trying to be a supportive friend, to both parties, but her worries hadn't magically disappeared. "i'm here for it." she smiled. "haechan needs more friends. real friends. they all do, really."

"i kind of got that feeling, too..." jiae showed a smaller, more compassionate smile. "we talked a bit after and he seemed kind of lonely." shrugging, jiae suddenly remembered what he'd said in the convenience shop and leaned forward. "did you know that his sister is my fan?"

hyeyeong's eyes went wide. "sunghyun?" jiae blinked once. then twice. it didn't take a third time for hyeyeong to explain. "his sister."

"oh!"

chuckling under her breath, hyeyeong lifted her head and decided to explain, since the idol clearly hadn't. "she doesn't visit much, but sometimes their family will come here together and park out front to pick him up for the day. it's actually super sweet."