Chapter 21

"So the doctor is a werewolf?"

"Yes," Ezra answered as we stepped out of his car. The hospital was in the closest big city, a few hours' drive away from campus.

"And he works in a human hospital?" I whispered as a woman and her son walked past us.

The gray floors of the hospital's lobby glimmered under the lights, the cream walls held several artworks and posters. The waiting area to the side was empty, its mustard-colored couches and green armchairs standing out. The place looked pretty fancy for a hospital.

"The hospital is privately owned by the Royal Pack, but humans get treated here as well, and some of the staff are humans," Ezra said as we walked past two nurses. The two women paused and bowed their heads briefly, then looked at me. I smiled at them. They seemed surprised for two seconds before smiling back.

A man and a woman in doctor coats were speaking in front of the elevators. We stood behind them. They froze and glanced over their shoulders as one, did a double take, then whipped around and bowed their heads, moving to the side. Ezra nodded back, and when the elevator arrived, Ezra and I went inside first. The doctors didn't move to get in, and the doors were closing, so I pushed the button to open them.

"Um...Aren't you getting in?" I asked the two doctors. They glanced at each other, then at Ezra. My mate's face looked as approachable as a rock.

"Get in," he said.

"Thank you," the man said, and got in, the woman followed as well, and they stood as far away from us as the elevator could allow. Ezra was frowning to himself, deep in thought, his arm around my shoulders and his thumb endlessly rubbing my shoulder. Hmm. I guess he could look intimidating to other people.

The poor doctors were stiff the entire ride up, and when the doors opened upon reaching their floor, they all but jumped out of the elevator after a bow our way.

"Why are they so scared of you?" I asked after the elevator doors closed.

"They're not scared of me."

I gave him a look. "Right. That's why they didn't want to get in the elevator with us."

He smiled a little. "Okay, maybe they are a little scared. But I think they're mostly uncomfortable. Their wolves wouldn't want to be in such an enclosed space with me. Especially since they're not used to being around me."

"Hmm. So werewolves have regular jobs, too," I said.

"Yes. A good number of us do," he replied, "Packs, like other supernaturals, have amassed a lot of wealth over the years of our long lives. We own a lot of real estate and financial assets, and we have deep connection in most institutions."

The doors opened as I slowly nodded. "It helps you keep your existence a secret."

"Yes."

We stepped out of the elevator. A man in a doctor's coat waited right in front of it, flanked by a group of four nurses. They all bowed deeply as one. "Your highness."

As they straightened, their eyes fell on me. Oh, boy. I smiled, resisting the urge to step behind Ezra.

Ezra nodded at them, his face set in grim lines. He was back in prince mode. We followed the doctor through the empty hallways of the hospital.

"Why is it empty?" I asked in a whisper.

"They emptied the floor for us," he said.

I raised my eyebrows. "Really? Why?"

"Security precautions," he said. "This is a big city and it's not close to werewolf territory."

Oh, wow. Now I was feeling like royalty.