33. Change of Plans

Seeing his lover drop the phone with a shocked expression after whispering 'father', Yang Guang pulled the car over immediately. Getting the phone from where it fell, he said "hello?"

"Who the f*ck are you?! Give the phone to my bastard son!"

All the colours also left Yang Guang's face. So, it was indeed Yin An's father and he found them. Damn!

"GIVE THE PHONE RIGHT NOW!"

Yin An snapped out of his shock and got the phone back, "w-what do you want? W-Where is grandma?" he asked as tears trickled down from his pale face uncontrollably.

"She is here, but if you don't hurry up, she won't be here anymore," he threatened him and presently, a faint scream of the grandmother was heard over the line.

"NOO!" Yin An cried out, "w-where are you?"

"Come to the abandoned fish market near her house, don't be late, my patience is diminishing... And don't forget, no police."

The phone fell one more time from Yin An's grip as his eyes got black.

"No no no," Yang Guang reacted immediately. Smashing their lips, he pushed his yang energy into his stiff lover. However, no matter how much he was giving, it seemed there was no use. Yin An was convulsing non-stop, his body getting covered by black lines and he was literally choking.

"Daryin, work with me! Come on!" Yang Guang shook him hard as he continued to pass him his healing energy and finally he could see a bit of clearance in his eyes.

"Come on, help me, please, fight with it, please," the freaked-out lover pleaded and smashed their lips again.

Although Yin An's mind was muddled, he knew what his boyfriend was trying to do. He gathered all his strength and tried to push his yin energy back just like Yang Guang taught him. He pushed and pushed, and with the help of the yang energy he received, he overpowered his attack.

"Well done, daryin... well done," Yang Guang complimented his exhausted lover as he held him dear in his arms.

"We... have to... save... grandma..." Yin An uttered, even talking was difficult for him at the moment.

"We will, don't worry," Yang Guang reassured him, "just give me the address."

Tiredly, Yin An gave him the address and his eyes got closed.

Sighing to their misfortune, Yang Guang left the car and took his drained lover to the backseat. After covering his small frame with his jean jacket, he took the driver seat back, wrote the address to the navigation and started the engine.

As they were fighting against time, Yang Guang didn't take any breaks for more than five minutes. When it was past midnight, the lights of the town became visible and he stopped the car. Dragging his exhausted body out of the car, he washed his face outside of the car with the remaining bottled water to chase his drowsiness away. Indeed, it didn't help much, but there was nothing more he could do. In less than one day, they had to save the grandmother and find the damn tree, which was in a forest three hours away from the grandmother's location, let alone its actual location was a mystery.

Yang Guang sighed heavily. Nope, life didn't offer them any luck on a plate. Damn.

Another sigh and the tall man returned to the car to wake his drained lover. Maybe because they were close to the... let's say deadline, he looked more unhealthy than usual and it was alarming. Reluctantly as well as forcefully, the white-haired man shook his lover awake and saw the blackness of his eyes were actually darker and some dangerous glint was flickering inside them.

They had to hurry.

"Did we arrive already?" Yin An asked with difficulty, looking at the street lights of the town which illuminated the darkness with soft beams.

Yang Guang nodded with a forceful smile in an attempt to keep him calm, and helped his lover to take a sitting position. Then he took the wheel again and drove through the town with the directions of his lover, who was barely sitting due to the growing anxiety in his heart. His grandmother was the only family member he had, so even the idea of losing her squeezed his gut.

With his directions, they reached the south end of the town. Leaving the main road, they veered towards a lane. In the foreboding silence, they moved until the headlights of their car cast some light to the abandoned fish market.

"Here it is," Yin An exclaimed and rushed out of the car, but paused hearing the other car door being shut. He turned around and blocked his boyfriend's path, "you wait here, don't come in."

"What?!" Yang Guang exclaimed, his eyes reflecting his anger, "you want me to sit here while you are facing danger, is that right? When we can't even call the police?!"

Yin An looked at him with teary eyes, "I just don't want you to hurt, my father is only after me, so I would rather know you are safe," he confessed with a shaky voice.

The anger dissolved in the tall man's eyes, "how can I sit here and send you to that devil-incarnation's den?"

"It is okay, my father never intended to kill me, so don't worry, I will come back with my grandma," Yin An smiled with great effort, "when we are out..."

When she is out...

"... be ready to take us to a safe place."

Be ready to take her to a safe place...

Indeed, Yin An didn't want to lie to his soulmate, but there was no other way. His father of course wouldn't let him go, but there was a chance that he could save his grandmother. After everything she had done for him, he had to do that for her. He could imagine the resentment and pain he would inflict on his soulmate, but he really had no choice. Even if he could manage to go out, they wouldn't have enough time to find the tree, so... it was a lost battle in any way.

However, although he tried to put on a good show, Yang Guang only raised his eyebrows, meaning 'really?'. Then patting his lover's head, he said "we are wasting time here," and he rushed forward with his long legs.

With overwhelming horror, the small man ran after his boyfriend to catch him before he entered the dark place.

But he was too late.

Yang Guang had already pushed the rusty doors of the abandoned building open.

Therefore the only thing Yin An could do was to whisper "I love you," in case he wouldn't have another chance to do it.

Yang Guang just smiled at him reassuringly without saying anything.

Is it how our story ends?