Chapter One

Saturday, July 24th, at 9:19 PM, was just like any other night. The sky shined a grand of constellations, the street lights brightened, cars and motorcycles passed by and the crickets screeched, echoing through the town. We held hands as we departed the bistro. Her hand was a warm sensation that enhanced my excitement. She looked at me and started laughing, a laugh that made the whole world stop.

"You have some barbecue sauce on your face, silly," she said and wiped my cheek with her hand.

"Oh really, I could've sworn that nothing was left on my face," I said.

She chuckled.

"I will admit, you are pretty obsessed with ribs lately."

"That would be valid," I replied.

When she finished getting rid of the mess off my face and pulled her hand away, I took it and kissed it. Her smile and blushing cheeks were priceless. I then picked her up and spun her around in circles. Her laughter made me want to jump up and down in joy. There might have been people staring at what we were doing, but I honestly didn't care, what I cared about, was her.

I put her down and didn't notice how dizzy she must have been. When she fell back, I instantly caught her, thinking that what I did was probably not a good idea.

"You good? Was that too much?" I asked, sort of overreacting.

She giggled, which surprised me.

"Never. You worry too much, Layton Sherman," she said.

I still felt bad and even kind of embarrassed, but she took my hand and dragged me along the sidewalk with a grin.

"How do you do that?" I asked.

"Do what?"

"Make everything seem so positive," I said.

She stopped smirking and shrugged.

"Force of habit."

"Hey, what's wrong babe?" I could easily tell when there was something on her mind, it was like my own superpower.

She looked at me as if she zoned out.

"Hm? Oh, it's nothing," she said, faking a grin.

"Ellie."

I stopped walking with my hand still holding hers.

"Talk to me," I exclaimed.

She stayed quiet and stared downwards. I let go of her palm and went in front of her.

"Ellie."

I picked her chin up. The look on her face made my heart want to sink. Whenever Ellie gets upset, it makes me feel just as upset.

"It's just...," Ellie stated. She stopped and thought for a moment, thinking of what to say next.

"Never mind, forget it," she said and went past me.

I followed her. I noticed her fidgeting with the zipper of her jacket as if she was about to have a panic attack. I had to do something.

"Did I do something wrong," I asked.

We both froze. She turned around to face me.

"Layton, of course not."

I walked towards her.

"Ellie, I love you from the bottom of my heart. I want to help you, but I don't know how if you don't tell me what's going on," I explained.

She was silent again and then sighed.

"I love you too Layton, but...I'm just...going through some stuff at the moment that I don't think you can help with."

"What do you mean?"

"It's complicated, plus it's not really any of your business."

I was completely lost at this point.

"I don't understand," I said.

"You will eventually, now come on, my parents will worry once they find out I'm not home yet," she said, reaching out her hand.

We strolled down another 3 blocks without saying a word. I felt like changing the subject which ruin the mood, and I didn't want to piss her off.

We finally arrived at her car. She turned to me.

"Well, this was fun," she said despite the conversation we had a few minutes ago.

"Yeah, we should go eat there again."

"As long as you don't order the ribs again."

I chuckled but felt really awkward.

Ellie then leaned over and kissed me. She then got into her vehicle, closed the door, put on her seatbelt, started the engine and rolled down her window to look at me.

"Good night, babe," she said smiling.

"Yeah, night," I replied.

I watched her drive out of the street until her tail lights vanished. The street light above me flickered rapidly. The stores around me switched off their bright open signs. I was alone. No more cars passed by and no pedestrians on the sidewalks. Just me.

I reached for my pocket and pulled out the small shiny diamond and stared at it for longer than I should have had. I shouldn't have been an idiot. I should have let Ellie know what she's doing. Why was I so dumb? Will she even accept this request from me, for her to be the love of my life for the rest of her life? I'm starting to get my doubts.

The street light went out.