Apologies

"You know you don't have to keep following me? I'm not up to anything," Draco is looking over towards where Potter has seemed to materialise out of thin air. His hair is messy and his eyes are a little bloodshot. If he didn't know better he would think the Gryffindor is as sleep-deprived as him.

"I'm not following you, I'm walking right beside you." Potter is now doing exactly that. "Am I not allowed to do that?"

Draco just rolls his eyes wondering what the prat is up to. "I just don't understand why you'd want to."

"I dunno, seemed like the polite thing to do?" Potter is adjusting his bag on his shoulder, purposefully ignoring all of the strange looks the two are gaining.

"You've never been polite to me, why start now?" Draco questions, his eyes staring straight ahead and not at the brunet anymore.

"I told you, I'm curious." Potter says like that clears up everything. Draco just rolls his eyes and steps to the side to let a few younger Hufflepuffs slip between the two of them.

"I don't need your curiosity. I just need to get through this year." Draco starts to walk out of the front doors towards the greenhouses. He has Herbology first thing in the morning, and he doesn't want to be late. He doesn't even know if the Gryffindor has the same class schedule as him.

Potter is still walking right beside him and he can see the bushy-haired Granger and the red hair of Weasley farther down the way in front of the greenhouses. So, Slytherins and Gryffindors must have the same class in the morning. Just what he wanted, to spend his morning with the Gryffindors.

"Well, you wouldn't be the only one." Potter doesn't run off to join his Gryffindor friends, instead choosing to sit next to him when Professor Sprout opens the doors and ushers them inside. Draco doesn't even bother trying to fight him. What is the point?

Maybe this is some sort of weird pity thing that Potter is playing at. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, at least if he is pitied than he won't be hated.

Draco just scribbles on his parchment, not really paying attention to what Sprout is waffling on about. He has never liked Herbology, it was just important to know for potions. Know the plants, know what they're used for. Boom, easy.

It would be more interesting if it wasn't the same things they learned last year. Well, before everything went to shit. It would be easy until the last few months, it was just recap.

Today they were learning about the Venomous Tentacula plant; it appears that even though Potter had missed this portion of the curriculum last year he is acquainted with the plant.

"I once caught Slughorn trying to steal some of the leaves to sell." Potter whispers pointing at the plant that Sprout has on her desk.

"Well, they are decently valuable on the black market." Draco says quirking an eyebrow at the brunet. He seems to just smile lightly and Draco doesn't even know what to think.

Why is Potter being all friendly, it is not in his usual MO towards Draco. If anything Draco would have expected to be cursed and hexed out of the school by now. Not sitting and listening to Potter yammer on about something else. He does this even though Draco has not responded in the last twenty minutes.

When the plant lashes out towards Sprout she casts a quick severing charm, cutting off one of its long vines. The screech along with the flash of the charm causes Draco's breath to catch in his throat.

He doesn't know why it has to happen now, in a class full of Gryffindor students and his peers. But he can feel the way his heart starts to pound in his chest and how his throat seems to tighten up. He feels like all of the air in the room has been sucked out and his hands seem to shake even when he curls them into a fist on his lap.