chapter four

|FOUR|
SUCKER

When she woke up in the morning, Eric was gone. But she smiled at the space he left behind before she got up for the day. She came down the stairs in a bright mood as she sat down for breakfast.

Her mother inspected her as things floated around and she smirked a bit, "So I take it the date went rather well?"

"Oh. No, he wasn't very nice," Eira blinked.

"What did the boy do?" Meredith said protectively.

"Uh," Eira said nervously. "Well, he kissed me when I didn't want him to."

"Eira, are you alright?" her mother gasped as a knife that was chopping things on its own went flying through the air and imbedded itself into the wall. "Did he hurt you?"

"No," she answered honestly before she smiled. "Eric took care of it."

Meredith sighed knowingly, "Eric?"

"Yes," Eira continued to smile brightly.

"Eira," her mother said carefully. "Eric has come to your rescue quite a bit but it doesn't mean he's your knight in shining armor."

"No," Eira said with a soft smile. "But he doesn't have to be."

Meredith sighed, "Just be careful."

Meredith loved her daughter more than life itself. It was why she worried over her close relationship with a vampire. The vampire certainly had his eyes set on her daughter but it didn't mean he wouldn't grow bored. And that was what worried her.

"I will be."

____

There had been another murder in Bon Temps. Dawn was killed and Jason was arrested once again; but he was released once Tara gave him an alibi.

Eira was working another night shift at Merlotte's. The murders seemed to be all people could talk about as she waited on them. Then Bill walked in.

People quieted but then started talking again. Bill sat down in the section Arlene was handling and she held a wary look. She gave a small smile to the woman, "I got it."

"Oh, thank God," Arlene said gratefully. "He gives me the creeps."

Eira shook her head as she went over to Bill. She liked Arlene but she could be a very judgmental when she wanted to be.

          "Hi, Bill," she smiled politely. "What can I get you?"

        "Hello, Eira," he smiled a bit. "Your reputation precedes you."

       "Because I belong to Eric?"

       "Precisely."

        "Well, I'd appreciate it if you don't tell anyone. People don't exactly...like vampires," Eira said before she started to ramble. "Which I don't know why because all the vampires I've met have been quite sweet."