Part 19

Distance grew as time passed, marriage felt meaningless for both, Mahir didn't come home after the last episode he had at home.

Bela'POV: I thought i was just losing my husband but I was wrong, I lost my friend in the process. Mahir has never made me feel alienated, but the last one month has been rough. I am now used to waking up at 4 in the morning and waiting for someone to ring the bell, but it has been never him.
Sometimes i fear if he would show up for his own sister's marriage?.   He has stopped speaking to sumi aunty, or to put it right ,she has stopped speaking to him. Maybe that guilt is keeping me up at 4 am.

I have found a job for me online, and even got my first check. My dad would be proud, only if he knew. First time I'm doing something independent, earning for myself, living alone... or Maybe not alone, but without mahir at home it makes me feel alone at times. And first time I am doing so much, yet i feel like I don't have someone to share with.

It was 5 am when someone rang the door bell, like always I rushed to the doors to open.

Mahir(surprised): you?.. that was quick, i just pressed the bell

Bela: i... I was about to get the milk packet

Mahir: this early???

Bela: is your question, why am i awake this early,? Or for whom??

Mahir: i never meant that way... And its not my business to find others business's

Bela: just come in without upsetting my day Mahir

Mahir:  did my arrival upset your day?

Bela: just come in mahir.

Behir room---------------------
Mahir kept unpacking without giving a sight to bela, though she wanted to ignore him she couldn't because of the guilt

Bela: what should we get for vish di for her wedding?

Mahir( without turning): I'll take care of that

Bela: but I want to contribute

Mahir: You can choose, I'll let you know when I buy.

Bela: why don't you turn and speak to my face?

Mahir( without turning): I don't want to spoil your day, and i have to unpack. And for you to mentally prepare i will be here until marriage

Bela:  this is your house  mahir,  you can come,stay and go as per your wish,that is what you do right?  And  why are you talking like this Mahir?

Mahir(turns): like how?  Am I talking like you??

Bela's patience is gone, she threw herself on the bed switching off all the lights despite knowing mahir was still unpacking

Mahir continued unpacking with his mobile light, Bela got up and switched on the lights, but mahir switched them off...  their act of care and carelessness continued...

..... Yet another fine morning at seghals..

Sumi: Vish... Come here and help me

Vish (shouts from room): maaa... I have to go to parlour... Its my marriage... I won't do any work.. ask that dumbo mahi.

Sumi(louder):  teek hai.. but come home soon...

Bela enters the kitchen hearing the conversation

Bela: can i help??

Sumi: No beta, its almost done.

Bela: but a while back you were calling vish di for help.

Sumi: i was calling her so that she can learn, but i think ajeethab is the one who will cook after marriage (both laugh)