prologue: harmony

After a life of cold, ruthless chaos, Stan Brook can barely wait until his time comes to leave this earth.

And that's when he meets Silah.

Bright, chipper and slightly annoying, she brings him the calm he has been longing for without knowing, and one he can never let go of.

Sometimes I try to imagine what I thought the first time I saw her. Maybe I thought "wow, how pretty". Or maybe, "wow, how cute." Or maybe just "wow".

The more I think about it, though, the further I am from the answer: For all I know, I thought nothing.

I came into a trance. I forgot I was in this world. I forgot about the death and the blood and the screams embedded into my skin.

The voices in my head fell quiet.

No screams. No nothing. They fell quiet, they fell together to whisper a single, simple word: her.

In spite of freedom, control has been Silah Hussain's life. She likes to be in control, she likes to understand. She likes to know she is doing what's correct. Stan comes to shatter everything and rebuild: he seems to be exactly her opposite, but he is exactly what she needs.

I don't know what it is that makes me like him as a person. I don't know, I never knew how it was that he did not scare me, how it is that such a tall and dark, unpredictable man did not intimidate me. There is but one thing I know for certain, and it's that, when I saw him, all my precautions went adrift. I did not need them. I did not need to think. Doing what I had to... it became what I should, what I could do.

As simple as breathing, as comfortable as being.

With him, I don't need to try.

A Chaotic Symphony spin-off, dedicated to @JaberaRahman