Intermission

The sun filtered in through the window, bathing the tiny apartment in orange, keeping Avni's chai warm, and the script in her hand lit up.

"Hey, baby," warm arms encircled Avni's shoulders, meeting just under her chin, as their owner planted a kiss on her neck.

She craned to look at him, faint blush on her cheeks, and butterflies in her stomach. He smelled like lavender and aftershave. He must've used her bodywash again. "Morning," she grinned. "You're happy."

"Ricky's coming by, no?" he said, bringing her cup to his lips. Very kissable lips.

"Hmm," she replied lazily, feeling absolutely content in his arms.

"Alright," he said, pecking her cheek; suddenly in action mode. "I gotta go-,"

"Wait, where are you going?" Avni asked, missing his warmth as he stepped away.

EJ paused. "Alex called and said I'd have to cover his shift, because Emily broke up with him."

"Wait, what?"

EJ nodded sombrely.

"I thought you said they were going strong."

"Apparently not. And I have a lecture after that, I'll be back by evening."

Avni frowned. "I have rehearsal in the evening."

EJ nodded, "Did you get the pirouette right?"

Avni grinned, got up and executed the move perfectly for him.

He smiled proudly. "I can't wait for opening night." And then- "Wait, didn't you have to meet your mom today?"

Avni groaned, plopping down on her comfy chair. "I cancelled."

EJ looked at her questioningly.

"Ricky's coming!"

"Avni!"

"EJ!" she replied in the same tone. And then- "I'll see her next week, okay?"

He sighed, "Okay. You go meet Ricky now, I'll switch with you in the evening. Cool?"

"Very cool," Avni said, as she sauntered up to him, kissing him deeply.

"Please be a little gentle with him," EJ said when they broke away.

"What d'you mean?" Avni frowned.

"You do tend to-," EJ picked his words carefully. "You're a little hard on him sometimes, you know. It just sounds like he needs some help."

"To me, it sounds like he's running away again."

"He probably is," EJ conceded. "Just hear him out first, okay?"

Avni huffed, "Okay."

"I'll see you later," EJ said, kissing her again. "I love you."

"I love you too," she smiled back.

*****

"Ricky!" Avni yelled across campus, charging ahead in full speed, ignoring all the weird looks cast her way. She couldn't care less what EJ's collegemates thought of her.

"Avni," Ricky grinned, hugging her hard enough to lift her off her feet.

"I've missed you," he said, his forehead touching hers, slightly breathless.

She picked it up immediately.

Quavering voice, slightly swollen eyes, and a smile that didn't reach them.