Millennium

Once again, reporters line the street attacking students as they make their way to school, asking questions, hungry for that teenage insight.

Dewey's patrol jeep cruised by. He pulled up in front of the school. Tatum and Melanie hopped out, while Sid lingered, suddenly unsure. 

"Hey, its school. You'll be safe." Dewey reassured.

Sidney forced herself out of the jeep, just as a microphone was shoved in her face.

"How does it feel to almost be brutally murdered." The reporter asked.

Melanie jumped in front of Sidney, intercepting the reporter. "Leave her alone, will ya? We just want to go to school." 

Sidney eyed the news van that pulled up behind her. The side door slid open, and Gale Weathers stepped out. 

"Come on, Sid." Melanie said, grabbing her hand.

"Just a sec." Sidney said, ripping her hand away. "I need to talk to someone." She headed over to Gale. 

"What is she doing?" Tatum asked.

Melanie raised her hands to her head. "Hell if I know." 

Melanie decided to go over, and see what she was talking to Gale about. 

"Have you talked to Cotton?" Sidney asked.

"Many times." Gale said.

"Has his story changed?" Sidney replied.

"Not one word. He admits to having sex with your mother, but that's all." 

"He's lying." Melanie said. "She wouldn't of touched him. He raped her, then butchered her. Her blood was all over his coat." 

"He was drunk that night. He left the coat at your house, after your mother seduced him." Gale added.

"I saw him leaving wearing it." Melanie claimed.

"But couldnt it have been someone else you saw wearing that coat? The same person who planted it in Cotton's car, framing him? The same person who really killed your mother?" 

Sidney considered Gale's words. 

"No!" Melanie protested. "Cotton murdered our mother." 

Tatum came waltzing up. "Nice welt." She said to Gale.

Gale ignored her, zeroing in on Sidney. "You think these murders are related, don't you." 

"Yo, let's rock" Tatum said.

Sidney started to fidget. "I'm sorry I mangled your face." She took off with Melanie and Tatum. 

They made their way across campus. 

"Just relax. You're at school now. No one can get you here." Tatum reassured.

"But if it wasnt Billy it could be anybody. He could be here at school right now." Sidney said.

"Serial killers are smart by definition." Melanie said. "They minimize their risk. They plan, and pre-calculate everything. Showing up here would be the most lame brain move he could make." 

Just before the bell, the hallway was congested with students heading to class. Tatum was at her locker, and Mel was standing behind them. 

"This is a mistake. I shouldn't be here." Sidney said.

"I want you to meet me here right after class, okay?" Melanie said.

Stu took a piece of candy out of Tatum's locker.

"Hey, I haven't seen Billy around. Is he really pissed?" Sidney asked.

"Oh, you mean after you branded him the Candyman? No his heart's broken." Stu asked.