Chapter 6

All three of us stood in the heart of the CCPD's building where cops, detectives, and scientists hastily walked to their stations. Dr. Wells, Cisco, and I had spent all day developing a shield that would be powerful enough to protect against Cold's cold gun, and I would have to say I was pretty proud of the outcome.

            I sat in on office chair with my oxygen tank at my side next to Dr. Wells, and Cisco stood in the open. "If I could have everybody's attention please," Cisco announced, but nobody acknowledged him.

            Cisco looked discouraged, and I didn't like seeing my friend looking like that so I stood up, cupped my hands around my mouth, and shouted, "Yo! Everyone listen!"

            Then, like magic, everyone stopped what they were doing, and looked to Cisco and I. "Thank you, Finn," Cisco laughed and then explained to the crowd, "So Dr. Wells, Finn, and I took your ballistic shields," he walked towards the office holding the make-shift cold gun, but Captain Singh stopped him, "And we lined them with a pretty sweet compacted heating ribbon designed to repel temperature attacks; especially those reaching absolute zero, like Captain Cold's gun."

            One officer remarked, "And that's supposed to keep us from getting turned into popsicles?"

            "Um, yeah," Cisco continued, "Yeah, they will."

            Another questioned, "How are we supposed to trust anything from Star Labs after you nuked the city?"

            I looked up at the stairwell in disgusted and snapped, "I'm going to pretend that I didn't hear that." Harrison placed his hand on my shoulder to calm me.

            "You're right," Cisco agreed, "You're right, you shouldn't trust us. What happened a year ago . . . that was our fault. And we can't change the past, as much as we wish we could. But tomorrow is a different story. Tomorrow's a different thing. We just want the chance to make things better. Observe."

            Cisco lined up the gun with the new shield, and began to spray liquid nitrogen onto the shield—nothing happened to the brave officer behind it. Then, the nitrogen began to vaporize from the heat of the shield, and the agents swarmed around mesmerized by its abilities.

            He looked back at me with a huge grin on his face, and I replied with thumbs up.

Barry walked me home from our quick date at Jitters, and he rolled my oxygen tank along. "Once this Captain Cold business is all sorted out, I promise we can do something more fun than hang out at Jitters," Barry sighed.

            "Is it like this all the time?" I asked quietly.

            Barry raised an eyebrow at me, "Like what?"

            "You running around the city for Harrison like you're his pet monkey," I laughed.

            Barry smiled, "Oh, he already has a pet monkey."

            I laughed, and then said in my best Barry impression, "This had been you ever since we started dating: 'Sorry babe, can't go to the movies got to go to Star Labs,' 'No, I can't meet your parents, I've got to do Flash stuff,' and my personal favorite was when we were having sex and you say, 'Sorry babe, Dr. Wells needs me at Star Labs.'"

            Barry rubbed his neck and embarrassedly apologized, "Yeah, sorry about that."

            I looped my arm into his, and explained, "Barry, you need to learn to say no. It's really easy, trust me." Then, Barry's phone started buzzing, and he looked at the text on the screen and sighed. I huffed, "Star Labs isn't it?"

            "No, it's the CCPD," Barry said awkwardly, "I'll run you home."

            I protested, "No, take me with you! I need to know how the shields worked." Barry picked me up, and I held my oxygen tank so he could run me to the station. Quickly, we flew through the city, and Barry suddenly screeched to a halt in front of the station.

            I touched my feet back onto the ground, and both of us speed-walked into the building. There was a commotion among the officers, and some of them looked to be hurt. Barry rushed me to Joe who was talking on the phone, and Barry worriedly asked, "Hey, hey are you ok?"

            Joe sighed, "I'm fine. Snart's new partner, he's got this handheld flame thrower. Almost everyone was treated on the scene, but . . ."

            I said to myself, "The shields didn't protect them."

            "We've got two in the burn unit, though," Joe continued.

            I sighed angrily, "I've got to call Wells and Cisco." Then, I rushed out of the main floor onto the sidewalk where it was less noisy. The cold air made my oxygen tank cold, and it made the air being blown into my nose burn.

            I pulled out my phone, called Star Labs, and Cisco answered, "Yo, what's up?"

            "Our shields didn't work," I stated.

            Cisco fumbled, "What? How? I san simulation after simulation, and we even tested it before!"

            "They worked against Snart just fine," I sighed, "But not against his partner with the heat gun. It pretty much melted the shields, and now CCPD has two officers in the burn unit."

Barry walked out of the station, and I put my phone on speaker. Barry said, "The CCPD can't handle this."

"We know," Dr. Wells chimed in.

Barry sighed, "I guess the Flash is going to have to give him a fight. That's what he's wanted all a long." There was silence from Dr. Wells, and then Barry asked confusedly, "You're not going to talk me out of it?"

"No," Wells said defeated, "Seeing that there are two officers in the hospital, the Flash is our only option."

I stared at the diagram of the heat gun trying to figure out everything I possibly could; Cisco stated excitedly, "Oh my god, I figured it out," he looked at me and said excitedly, "Go get Barry and Dr. Wells!"

            Not being restrained to my oxygen tank anymore, I quickly walked into the treadmill room where Barry and Dr. Wells were having their man-to-man talk. I knocked twice on the metal wall to alert them, and I said sort of excitedly, "Guys, Cisco figured it out."

            Both guys followed me back to the control room, and Cisco had the diagram on the screens. I sat back down in my office chair, and the guys waited for Cisco to explain what was going on. He cleared his throat and began to explain, "When the heat gun was fired, it increased the surrounding temperature of the air dramatically, sort of like an extreme heatwave."

            I smirked, "Heatwave."

            Harrison snapped, "Stop, both of you."

            "Ok," Cisco continued, "I measured the temperature output of both the cold and the heat guns, right? And while the cold gun reached absolute zero, the heat gun successfully reaches absolute hot, or the hottest temperature an object can reach."

            I interjected, "Plank temperature."

            "So potentially," Wells continued on, "these two guns could cancel each other out."

            "Yeah," Cisco said, "but to do that, you'd have to make them cross streams."

            Barry giggled, "You mean like Ghostbusters?" I punched him in the side.

            Cisco admitted, "That film is surprisingly scientifically accurate."

            "And really quite funny," Harrison stated. Barry phone started buzzing obnoxiously loud, so he went aside to take the call.

            I admitted, "I was always terrified of the Marshmallow Man when I was a kid." Then, suddenly, using his speed, Barry bolted out of the lab without a single word of explanation. I made the 'bruh' meme face with my hand out in the fashion of the girls, and I said annoyed, "The hell, dude?"