Remind Me..

Rosalynn

" I don't know Liz. I'd have to find a babysitter and everything. And honestly I've had a really long week and I don't even feel like doing much of anything." Liz was sitting at the kitchen counter drinking wine as I walked around the apartment with a basket picking up toys and whatever else had been lying around. Its only 12 noon. "Ohh come on Ros, I can't even remember the last time we went anywhere. It's just dinner and drinks, I promise I won't keep you out all night grandma." I gasped as I walked back into the kitchen. "Go to hell. I'm no grandma, I just don't have much leisure time these days." I said, sighing. "Look. We can figure out the babysitter thing. You deserve a night out. I mean, look at you. You're in sweatpants, a tank top and bunny slippers every time I've seen you lately. And not to mention I'm pretty much over this messy bun." I looked down at myself. "You're right, I guess it would be nice to feel pretty again."

Knock Knock

I looked at Liz. "You expecting someone?" She asked me. I shook my head no as I got up and walked to the door. When I looked out the peephole my heart stopped beating. I couldn't believe my eyes. "Who is it?" I heard from behind me which brought me out of my daze. I quickly stepped back and opened the door slowly. There she was. "Charlotte.." I spoke so quietly. My heart was now fluttering in my chest. How does she do that? After all these years. After all this time she still has that affect on me. "Good afternoon Rosalynn. May I come in?" I stepped away from the door allowing her room to enter. She wore a grey NYU sweater. One I'm sure was buried deep in her closet somewhere, and a pair of fitted jeans that looked great on her. Her beautiful dark hair was tucked behind one ear. Her big grey eyes as vibrant as ever. I suddenly became aware of what I was wearing. I folded my arms over my chest. "Umm.. what.. what are you doing here?" I noticed she had a small bunch of flowers in her hand. At that moment Elizabeth poked her head out of the kitchen. "Hey, Charlotte! It's nice to see you!" Charlotte flashed her a smile. "Hey there Liz. Likewise." She then turned back to me, "Is Cara around?" She asked me. I looked at her and nodded. "Cara, sweetie. Your mamas here." I called out. Not even five seconds later I heard small footsteps running behind me. "Mama!" She squealed. Charlotte kneeled down to her and wrapped her in her arms. "Ohh my sweet girl. Hello my little love." I watched them interact with one another and threw a quick glance over my shoulder at Liz. She looked at me curiously and I shrugged my shoulders. "These are for you Cara Rose." She brought the flowers from behind her back. Cara gasped. Looking shocked as if it were the first time Charlotte has bought her flowers. She always has ever since she was born. But what can I say? She gets her dramatics from me. "Look mommy, my favorite flowers!" Cara said to me. "I see sweetie, they're beautiful." I brought my attention back to Charlotte. "So, what are you doing here? We weren't expecting you for another week." I asked. "Yeah I know. But I just thought I'd come a little early. I missed you." She said that last part to no one in particular. She wasn't looking at me, nor Cara when she said it. What does that mean?

"Umm." She cleared her throat. "If it's okay with you I'd like to take Cara out with me for a bit." I nodded. "Of course you can take your daughter. We don't have anything planned. Umm let me go and get her ready." "Ohh I'll do it." Liz spoke up. "Come on Cara, let's get you dressed." Cara ran off with Liz back to her room. I glanced back at Charlotte. "Do you.. wanna sit?" I asked. She nodded and we both walked over to the couch. A considerable amount of distance between us. "So does this mean you're not coming next week?" I laughed nervously. Since our separation Charlotte had been coming to visit our daughter two weekends out of each month. She had her for an entire month this past summer, and she even came up for the entire first week of preschool for Cara, which she loved. "No, no I still plan on getting her next week also." I nodded. "Cool. Are you taking her overnight? I can tell Liz to get her a bag together." "No, not this time. I'm staying with Abby and I'm on her couch so I don't want Cara to be uncomfortable." I laughed a little. "Yeah. Well good luck getting rid of her then. She's not going to want to leave your side." Charlotte smiled at me. A smile I hadn't seen in so long but still warmed my heart. "I figured as much."